Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDMWorks Lifecycle and Revision Scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatwire

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2003
US
I wanted to get some feedback on how people deal with this problem in PDMWorks...

Our current revisioning scheme is as follows: we use a combination letter and numbering scheme to indicate release and version, for example -.01, -.02, A.01, A.02. When a part is released, the second half of the revision is removed so that the released revision is A, B, C, etc.

At this point we run into a problem. Often, an engineer will want to do additional work on the released part that may or may not be released. When this work is done, the rev is bumped from A to A.01, A.02, etc. If the changes are implemented, the production release rev is changed to B. If the changes are not implemented the released rev remains A. My question is, can I set the lifecycle up so that only the A, B, C, etc. revs can have a status of "Production". Additionally, can I set PDMWorks up so that the A.01, A.02 revs show a status of "Post Production Development" while the A, B, and C revs show a status of "Production"? If there are better ways of dealing with this problem, I'd certainly like to hear them. Basically I want a way to separate the production stages from the post production development stages. Thanks for the help.

Jason

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, PDMWorks can have lifecycles set up like you want them, but only the administrator can add them. BTW, my experience at differnet companies is numerical revs for preliminary/enigneering builds and alpha revs for release. If the alspha has numerical after it (A1) it is released with a minor change, (1A) is prelim with a minor change. Just my 2 cents.
Also, creating the same rev at different lifecycles can create problems down the road for you (A.01 at 'released' and A.01 at 'developement'). PDMWorks can get confused.

I guess my main problem is that I have a released file that is at rev A. I want to do some additional work on this file, but I'm not sure I want to release it. So I do the work and check it in so that the rev is now A.01. At this point, A is still the released part. A.01 includes the latest changes, but hasn't been released. I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with this in the PDM system. The company is basically giving me complete control over this, so if I'm missing the boat as far as what PDM can do, I can freely change plans. Are there any good guides that anyone can recommend for setting up the system? Thanks again

jason

I can tell you how we do it. All files are checked in to 'Developement'. If an outside vendor or someone outside the dept, they go into 'Transfer'. When the dwgs are ready for check, they go to 'Pre-release'. After released, they are moved to 'Release'. When a dwg is getting updated after release, it is moved to 'In Change', then back to 'Pre-release' then back to 'Release'.
'Developement' and 'Transfer' are only for numerical revs (preliminary/eng build). Hope this helps.

Can the admin configure PDM/Works to allow certain users/groups to see only released versions of parts/assemblies?

That means that if I am the engineer and am working on the latest rev, "B06", other people on the shop floor can only access rev "B" (the last released version).

Is this possible to enforce using PDM/Works?

flatwire: rev A.01 means you have done a minor rev to the rev A. Set up PDMW so that revs are 1 thru ? for development; revs A thru Y...A1 thru Y?...AA thru YY and so on for released.

rokahn: you can only change a file in PDMW if you are the owner. Anyone can open it and do what they want with it...but can not check it back in. I would suggest a safe way for the shop floor is set up a folder on a server and store PDF files of the dwgs there for everyone to view and print. You can also set up a folder to store IGES, STEP, eDrawings, etc for others to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back