Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDMWorks / Solidworks / Network freeze!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

woolly

Mechanical
Apr 7, 2005
GB
Any ideas on this one.

We have a multi seat design office using Solidworks 2007, across a 10/100M bit network. We know we would be better off using a Gigabit network to improve network access etc, but costs etc mean we are stuck with what we've got at the moment.

The problem we are having is with workstations just locking up randomly for no reason, one person could be accessing the vault, another working on Solidworks and another accessing files across the network, and all of a sudden all 3 three stop, and it may take a minute or so for things to kick into gear again, the strange thing is they will all start working again at the same time. This can happen to 2 or 3 people at the same time.

We're not sure if it's a SW or network problem or both, has anyone else experienced anything like this.

Thanks

Woolly

SW 2007 SP4.0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bradley,

We have the validate vault on every start up checked, the problem being that the server isn't restarted vert often, so we are going to adopt the same system as you and restart the server once a week or so to keep things in order. We are using PDMWorks Workgroup 2007 VaultAdmin, but I can't see the radio button? Where is it?

Thanks

Woolly

Woolly,

Also note that with a large vault, the more you use Projects in your vault the faster PDM Workgroup will work access the vault data. This is recommended in most of the documentation.

John

Certified SolidWork Professional
CAD will not make better designers; it will only make poor designers faster...

Woolly,
You do not need to restart the server at all. What we are doing is restarting the PDM service. Our VAR gave us the code to do that. I tried looking for the code but could not find it. Your VAR should be able to help you.

IT has setup a scheduled task on pdmvault server to restart PDM service on a regular basis. A task has been created to stop the service at 3:00 a.m. and restart at 3:05 a.m., Monday - Friday.

Bradley
SolidWorks Premim 2007 x64 SP4.0
PDM Works, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

For 2007 the following command should stop the PDMWorks service:
Code:
sc stop “PDMWorks Workgroup Server”

And the following should restart it:
Code:
sc start “PDMWorks Workgroup Server”

Eric

Thanks Eric,
I put that in our manual. A star for you.

Bradley
SolidWorks Premim 2007 x64 SP4.0
PDM Works, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

Eric,

We are using windows 200 server, I've been told the code you've given me is for XP server, do you know what it is for Windows 2000 server?

Thanks

Woolly

At a previous job, I remember using:

net stop "service name" and
net start "service name"

as part of a script that backed up our vault nightly. I can't say for certain, but I think that was a Windows 2000 server.

We have sorted the stop / start of the service. It is scheduled during Sunday night. The validate vault option is selected on the vault admin tool. The following question has been raised regarding the validation by our IT guy.

Once the service is restarted does it wait until SW is started to validate the vault, or does it do it automatically so it is ready as soon as we arrive at work Monday morning?

There is no point doing it during the night if it waits until SW is started locally to do the validation as we would still have to wait for it.

Thanks

Woolly

woolly,

The vault validation occurs only on the PDMWorks server. If you have your options set to perform the vault validation on startup you're all set - no waiting on the part of the SWX/PDM user provided your vault isn't so huge that it takes a long time to start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back