PE Exam Flunkie 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okieduck71

Civil/Environmental
Jan 4, 2008
US
Hello all!

I have just failed the PE exam for the 3rd time. Needless to say, Im very discouraged as I have done everything from taking classes to sample exams as suggested by everyone. Ive got the CERM all tabed up, bought all 6 minute solutions books, and taken sample PE exams. Ive been told that maybe I should go into Construction Management or get my MBA if I want to succeed in my career with out a PE. Since I graduated 5 years ago, Ive mostly been employed with a government agency (COE, DOT and City) with little to no design experience. Now I work for a small engineering design firm doing hydrology and hydraulics on HEC-HMS and HEC-Ras and design roads and enjoy it very much. I used to believe in the "3 strikes and your out" rule, but now Im not so sure.

The first 2 times I took water resources and did fairly well in a few subjects (88 scores). Then I made the mistake of taking transportation and did worse than the first 2 times. I was thinking I should try geotech next October since Im due to have my second child this Feb, and there is no way I could take it in April.

I was also wondering what everyone thinks about the new Masters Degree or equivalent requirement to take the PE. As a member of ASCE, I know NCEES is thinking of implementing this as soon as 2010. I really dont think more college courses are necessary, since Ive learned more on the job than I ever did in college.

I appreciate any positive input to my thread. Dont waste your time if you think Im just retarded.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think meaningful experience in your area of work, good preparation, and composure are the keys. When I took my PE exam, I had been out of school for many years ... I was quite scared, however, I did take both parts 1 & 2 at the same time and I was fortunate enough to get through in the first try. So, keep the chin up, stay with your area of work and give it a good shot.

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.
Energy Efficient Building Network LLC
ANAND Enterprises LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back