Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PE exam mechanical engineering reference book

Status
Not open for further replies.

wangyu1234

Mechanical
Dec 28, 2005
US
I am an mechanical engineer, and planning to prepare the April exam. I had "Mechanical Engineering PE review manual" Edition 10th, but the latast version is Edition 11th. I wonder anybody used both of those two versions, and can tell me is there a big difference, so I can decide if I have to buy another one.
Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When I got the 11th I compared it carefully to the 10th and threw the 10th away. The updates for the "new" test format were just too useful.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The harder I work, the luckier I seem

I have the tenth edition, which does not cover the Appendices in its index. The eleventh edition does. I've taken and passed the exam, but I use MERM as a primary reference. An index of the appendix would be useful in my day-to-day work but invaluable for the exam. The cover of my copy is held on by tape; I may use that as an excuse to buy the eleventh edition.

The main disadvantage of MERM is that information is not where you might expect it. Fatigue, for example, is in the materials testing section rather than the failure theory section. Most useful tables are in the index, but some are in the main text. The index is invaluable, and the more complete the better. On a couple of problems, I looked up an unfamiliar term and it led me right to a solution technique.

Use MERM as your primary study and practice problem-solving reference so you'll know it inside and out when you take the test. Bookmark important sections and tables.

I didn't study everything in MERM, but I studied more than I thought I would need to know. I was surprised that some of that material, such as a suspension cable problem, was needed.

I took the machine design version of the exam and thought there were a disproportionate number of HVAC and thermo-fluid problems. If you ask someone who took the HVAC or therm-fluids version, they might say there were a disproportionate number of machine design problems.

Good luck,
Rob

Rob Campbell, PE
Finite Monkeys -

I took the machine design version of the exam and thought there were a disproportionate number of HVAC and thermo-fluid problems. If you ask someone who took the HVAC or therm-fluids version, they might say there were a disproportionate number of machine design problems.

Same here. I think the machine design specific exam had about 40% HVAC questions on it - as a very rough estimate. The only other PE in my company took the HVAC exam and was suprised at the number of Fluids/Thermo questions.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

I will take HVAC exam in the afternoon exam. What you guys tried to tell me is there are some questions which are not covered by HVAC part of MERM in afternoon exam. So I have to review Fluid/Thermo part also. Am I right?

What we are saying is that although you are taking the HVAC specific exam in the afternoon, expect to see some problems that relate to fluids/thermo and machine design. Using my rough estimate as my only basis, expect about 40% of the questions to be non-HVAC questions.

--Scott

I saw about the same proportion of specialized vs. general questions. I took Fluids in the afternoon and about 60% of the test was Fluids/Thermo. The other 40% took me 80% of the time available (maybe not quite that much, but it seemed like it).

The "trick" I used was to divide 90% of the time available by the number of questions to get an allotted-time per question and then verify my time every 10 questions--if I was behind then I skipped to where I should be. This gave me time to go back and guess on the skipped questions. Something worked, I passed.

David

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The harder I work, the luckier I seem

If you are taking the HVAC/REfrigeration depth module, most of the machine design and thermofluids questions will be in the morning breadth session, as you would expect. But you may also find them in some form in the afternoon depth session. A FAQ on PPI's website refers to them as supportive knowledge, and gives an approximate breakdown for each session:

Rob Campbell, PE
Finite Monkeys -

I think the test is well known for the AM portion to be heavy in concentration in one of the three "depth" portions of the exam. The problem is you do not know which it will be. I guess it is their way of ensuring you study them all. My afternoon session did not seem to have too much else (that I can remember) outside the area of concentration but I did take it a while back.

Thank you for your discussing here.
May I state like this: When I am using MERM to review, I should go through everything. I did not find a sign in that book to show what contents are for PM portion only, so I can skip it.

Yes, go through everything in the MERM. Know it and its index intimately. If possible, find a local refresher course at your local university or community college. Several local education centers have PE refresher classes and many use the MERM as their text book.

--Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back