Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PE Exam Prep 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfman

Mechanical
Oct 21, 2003
US
Due to an unfortunate turn of events, my previous post was deleted. This is an attempt to repeat. Please contribute. I have been working as an Engineering Professional since June 2003. I have worked in Mechanical Design as well as Electrical Controls. No this isn't an resume.

I am in preparation to take the Electrical Power PE Exam in October. I know I am starting a bit late on the preparation - as in I will miss any review class opportunities, but I am looking for any suggestions, comments, recommendations for how to prepare and also any helpful techniques for actually taking the test. Please do not post any specific exam like questions - that is why my previous post was removed - that and a slightly over zealous admin.

Also, what books did you use for reference? Which ones really helped, which books really didn't help. I would like this to be an on-going resource for all us stiffs that are trying to pass this monster now and in the future.

Thanks in advance!

"To be or not to be, that is the question" - William Shakespeare via Hamlet

I found the sample questions booklet offered on the NCEES web site to be about the best reference, other than the NEC Handbook. I found the questions to be similar to the ones on the test. I alsot used the Power Reference Manual by Camara and the Kaplan Power PE study guide (which turns out was written by one of my old professors). I also brought a copy of the NESC as well. I think the biggest thing is to make sure you have a good understanding of the basics of power. I was surprised at the type of questions I heard people asking during the lunch break on the basics. If you have those down well, I think you have more than half the battle won. The one thing I was unprepared for was the number of lighting questions. I had many more than I anticipated. Just for reference, I took it this past April. I had been out of school for 13 years or so and did not take a review course.

One piece of advice is to get used to the calculator you are using, if it is different from your everyday model. I used a TI-36X Pro for the test, but normally use an HP-48GX. I had to spend some time figuring out how to use the complex number functions. Also, remember that 4 hours for 40 questions is a lot of time. I was able to work the questions twice, and in some cases 3 times, and I still finished the morning session about an hour early and the afternoon session almost two hours early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back