Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PE exam Preparation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uquresh1

Electrical
May 17, 2010
US
I am planning to take the PE exam this fall in NC, and I was wondering if anyone from NC knows where the PE preparation classes are held. I am in Charlotte, NC.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

shams, I haven't started at all so have no idea what I will be using. There is another person taking the test from my office and she has some books but I don't know yet the names. Sorry.

For all those that are taking the upcoming exam!

I took the April exam and I am still waiting for the results so I am able to give you the summary of some of the problems that were on the exam and the topics that showed up.
In regards to the books:
if you are planning to take a review course you will be given some of the books but you definitely should have the EPRM (Power Review Manual)by Camera, Camera also has a set of practice exams etc.. that will help you with a lot of practice problems.
other books I found useful:
Zia Yamayee - Electromechanical energy devices and Power systems.
IEEE Red Book
Chelapati
NCEES Power Sample Exam
Granger - Power System Analysis

Don't overwhelm yourself with the book, concentrate on topics, understand each topic and do as many problems as you can.

The April exam topics of concern: VFD's, Relays and Protection, characteristics of batteries and battery problems, in addition to these is the depth of the problems and there were a lot of tricks in wording of the questions.

Understand the depth of batteries, relays, protection, more calculation problems for batteries, relays, protection, (characteristic of lead acid batteries), Article 500 Hazardous locations, I mean they asked what class and group was acetylene in (class 1 group A).

I wouldn't have studied different but would have liked to have more related (in depth) material for some of the sections.
I used a lot of reference material because each book brougth some value, I had EPRM, class review material (print outs), Granger, Yamayee, printed supplemental material, IEEE RED BOOK, Camera's PPP, NEC 2011 and some other random material that I didn't use that much.

Some of the questions (topics) that were covered by the exam:

Per unit 3phase transformers in parallel
per unit 3 phase transformers in line schematic
per unit single phase transformers
per unit 3phase fault analysis
per unit this ... per unit.. that ... per unit ... per unit ... per unit :)
Autotransformer
4 engineering economic questions
Ground fault relays time delay specifications by the Code.
Unshielded communication line over lake, clearance specs by the Code
Switchboard clearance by Code standard in a room
(Around a total of 11-15 Code questions)
Generator load sharing
Inductor motors.
synchronous AC motors
Slip related questions
AC rotor machines speed related questions
Dual Generator sources with transmission line between them. Fault in transmission line, determine what effect has on system
Motor torque comparisons between motors in percentage
VFD drives! Four question on those.
Ground grid calculations (square are with disc shape electrodes )
Transformer impedance related to the secondary side.
Illumination questions: distance between lamps, angle lights.
Battery theory. 2 questions
Four relay/ct/protection questions.
Three phase rectifier thyristor voltage question.
Choosing conduit size for a set of given wires.
Looks like they took a lot of the Ncees questions and spun them around with different twists.
Xfmr open circuit test question.

Hope this helps you guys a little.

lhoash,

Thank you for that very informative post. I am behind on my preparation. I am using the PPI review book authored by Camara. I am reviewing the material, working the sample problems, and the practice problems.

It appears you were prepared for the exam, I find very impressive that you were able to review so much of what was on the test. Do you have good memory?

After compling the exam, how do you feel about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back