Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PE/PP GLUE DISPENSER

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdw123456

Mechanical
Dec 21, 2010
US
I'm looking for what amounts to an industrial hot melt glue gun where I can load a hopper with PE/PP pellets at one end and dispense an even bead of hot plastic on the other,
Does anyone know where I can find such a thing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some 3D printers work like that.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

You have just basically described a standard extruder. So what do you want that is different? If you start with a plastic rod rather than pellets, you could use the glue gun concept except that the temperature needs to be appropriate for your polymer.

The main challenge for this type of process is to get the polymer up to the melt temperature quickly and at a sufficient rate but not degrade it by overheating it. If your flow stops at any time, that makes the problem much more challenging.

A standard extruder with three dispensing nozzles is exactly what I want. What I don't want is to have to design my own system, I am hoping there is an off-the-shelf solution tha meets my needs.

I have seen something like this on production line carton sealing apparatus, also. The hot melt glue (I do not know the composition, but the priciple is the same) comes in large chips rather than in stick or pellet form.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

It is a standard off the shelf extruder. The die that is attached to the discharge end will have to be custom made, but they are relatively cheap simple devices if you simply want to lay down a bead or even three.

The most complex part might be moving the substrate under the die.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back