PE Structural I exam 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

walkac

Structural
Mar 4, 2005
US
Hi,

I am taking the PE Structural I exam in Florida. Can anyone recommnend good books to start with. I am aware of the "Structural Engineering Reference Manual" which is widely used for all the PE exams. However, any additional books specific to Structural I exam. Please advice on buying the "246 Solved Structural Engineering Problems" for the structural I.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Andy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a copy of the 246 Solved Structural Engineering Problems and used it extensively to study for the SE1 and SE2.

There are some good examples in that reference and some problems that'll make you think. It is, in my opinion, an indispensible reference for any SE.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

certainly the practice exam booklet for the exam you are about to take because it gives questions in a format similar to what's on the exam. I used that plus a couple of other "review" books with examples and solutions. don't remember the names of the books since I took the Structural-I exam several years ago. any practice exam would be helpful to get questions in different formats. good luck.

It gets you licensed in Illinois as an SE. You must have it to practice structural engineering in Illinois.

It also gets you "designated" in some other states as an SE where the term "designated" means you can call yourself an SE but it doesn't necessarily add any special rights.

In the western states (CA, OR, and WA) I think it is on the track to getting an SE but I'm not sure.

I thought the "PE" and the "SE" were different exams. Is that the case? The thread title PE SE 1 exam seems to suggest they are one and the same.

UcfSE,
If you pass the SE 1 you are a PE. If you pass the SE 2 you are a SE. You have to take and pass the SE 1 to take the SE 2.

Thanks for the info JAE.
In Louisiana, they license you as an engineer. It is your responsibility that you are qualified for the engineering work you do. SE 2 doesn't do anything extra for you.

I found 246 a great reference to study from. My state would not allow books with the title "Solved Problems" into the exam, however personal solved problems in a binder were allowed (go figure?)

I selected a number of problems from the 246 book, solved them and brought them into the exam.

They were a big help studying and a big help during the exam.

jjf

From the NCEES website...

" In jurisdictions that license structural engineers SEPARATELY from professional engineers, structural engineering licensure candidates must take one or more of the following exams: PE Civil, PE Structural I, PE Structural II, and/or any required state-specific exam(s)."

and

"What is the difference between the Structural I exam and the Structural II exam?
In most jurisdictions that license professional engineers without designating a discipline, the Structural I exam is considered sufficient for licensure.

Jurisdictions that license structural engineers separately from professional engineers may require licensure candidates to do one or more of the following:

• Pass both the Structural I exam and the Structural II exam
• Pass the Civil exam before passing the Structural exams
• Pass both the Structural II exam and a state-specific Structural III exam.

To find out specific requirements, contact the licensing board in the jurisdiction in which you will be practicing.

The Structural I exam contains 80 multiple-choice questions; the Structural II exam contains 8 essay questions (of which 4 must be answered). Please review the exam formats and the detailed exam specifications for the Structural I exam and the Structural II exam for more information."

In New York, one may take the Civil PE OR the Structural I PE and then take the Structural II; though New York doesn't license SE's apart from PE's. This could (and should?) change... If it does change, though, I suspect a lot of structural engineers with their civil PE in hand will scream bloody murder. I, for one, have vowed to take the structural II "in the near future" because this issue is fast becomming an itch I can't scratch.

The only thing it would gain for me, ultimately, is that I got over the hump; unless I'm informed otherwise, it's for vanity only.

In Oklahoma, structural PE candidates can take either the civil or structural 1 exam to become licensed PE's. it's my understanding that if I want to become an SE in another state, I need to pass the Structural 1 exam before being eligible to take the SE 2 exam. that's why I took the S1 exam, plus that exam has more questions/problems related to building design than the civil exam. there are some bridge problems on the S1 exam.

walkac,
I bought the 246 solved problems. I like it pretty well and I have been busy working through the problems. I have also bought "Structural Engineering: License Review Problems and Solutions (5th edition)" from Kaplan. I like it pretty well also since it has up to date information using the IBC 2003 code verses the 246 problems still uses the UBC, even the third edition. I think both of these will be excellent resources as I am planning to take the SE 1 in April.
On a side note. Of those of you who have taken the new multiple choice format of the SE 1 exam what do you all feel is the best way to prepare for the exam. I have been studying for about six weeks now, of which I spent the first month just reading the codes. I wanted to make sure I understood the seismic and other criteria pretty well before venturing into other areas. Now I am working on problems. I plan to work through as many problems as possible to study. One question I had is if people felt there was any benefit to writing step by step procedures for designs such as connections or whatever. I don't know where I am at with all this stuff but I guess I really just feel a little overwhelmed right now. Like how in the heck I am going to be able to retain all this stuff for the exam. I passed the EIT with out even studying so I can't use that as a guideline either. Any input would be appreciated.

aggman, if you are really designing beams, columns, connections, lateral load resisting systems, etc using various materials for buildings, you should not have a problem. you need to know how to design steel, concrete, wood and masonry using the AISC, ACI, NDS and ACI 530 without using engineering software. know the building code and ASCE 7 code provisions. in my opinion, you should be able to pass the exam using the material code books (AISC manual, ACI 318, ACI 530, NDS), the building code and ASCE 7 plus one or two other reference books such as a PCA handbook or structural engineering handbook, the AASHTO book to pass the exam. those are what I took with me, plus a few breakfast bars. hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back