Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PE versus PMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAPENOPMP

Mechanical
Feb 3, 2011
US
thread730-264620
After some 10 weeks of painful exposure to the blithering drivel known laughingly as the book of knowledge and the even more ridiculous book by the woman whose name I have erased from my memory.....

I will say without any fear of being wrong or even challenged.....

The pmp is a self-perpetuating farce whose very presence is an insult to anyone with a measurable IQ. Moreover, anyone subscribing to this sub-human idiocracy is in no way a professional, merely a neo-phyte desperately seeking validation when none could be gained elsewhere. The existence of this garbage is proof that there is no intelligence or true governance remaining in our society...merely vain attempts to use sophistry as a subsitute for technical achievement.

The pmp should be expunged from the world.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why do people even compare the PMP to the PE? It has been done several times here. They are completely different things. It compares better with an MSCE than a PE. It is just a certification not a license.

Jeeze why waste you time complaining about some pimp down the street.....
if you know he's a dumb fu$k then just don't worry about it, i'm sure you have better things to worry about.
Unless, he is in you face. Then roll back those sleeves and crack him one in the snowzer.....and be done with it.

[peace]
Fe

Once you realize that the PMP is just a means to an end, then accept it and move on. Think bigger - use the PMP to broaden your knowledge but don't drink the koolaid.

It seems to be a recurring theme on this board to compare the PMP to the PE, which confuses me. The PMP is not engingeering based and is mainly for people who have experience managing projects (see what is PMP).

In my opinion, it's not the most awesome test, a lot of the material is unnecessarily bureaucratic, but it has its place.

My company is big on PM's they are the be-all and end-all.

I don't mind mostly, live and let live...

EXCEPT when the PM opens his yap about features of the work he knows nothing about, which is most, and then we have to go thru a lot of nastiness about why the customer is not getting something he was never promised and that doesn't even make any sense in the context of the job. And what are we going to do to prevent this from happening in the future.

Other than that..

Regards,

Mike

Most companies are sold on PMPs because management was caught unprepared on a problem they created. They did not plan on the mass exodus of experienced engineers leaving a huge void that fresh graduates could not fill. It's just engineering, right? Anyone can do that? With so many layoffs over the years and young people not pursuing engineering, it left a big void in knowing how to run technical projects. If managers can check the box on project management training, they have done their job. Next item.....

Project Management Professionals...

Take care & have fun!

Kevin
"Hell, there are no rules here -- we're trying to accomplish something." - Thomas A. Edison

Typically they're folks with moderate to poor technical abilities that instead decide to try and get ahead by being project managers and get the big bucks that way.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

On the contrary, they are often senior engineers who realize that their vast technical skills do not mean they can actually manage projects with any degree of competence. Project management is not genetic - it's learned behaviour.

Being technically brilliant means nothing if you don't get the concept of scope, budget and schedule and how to manage them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back