Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Peak torque has moved way up the rev band

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosscat

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2005
GB
My long-term project car is a '67 Triumph Vitesse.

This has a 1998 cc straight six ohv with 2 valves per cylinder.
The bottom end is still as built by Triumph in the 60s including the camshaft which is a 25/65 with 270º duration and 0.329" (8.36mm) lift at the valves. In spite of a long and occasionally hard life, engine condition is fair with decent oil pressure and compressions. The head has had a little work including 3 angle seats and removal of the sharp edges. Valves sizes remain as standard and the CR remains as standard at 9.5:1

Externally, things are less standard with multipoint fuel injection on a homemade plenum type manifold, 3D distributorless ignition and a 6-3-1 tubular manifold. This is all controlled by a megasquirt ECU, which although pretty crude compared to modern OEM stuff, compares more favourably with the original twin 1.5" Strombergs and Lucas clockwork dizzy.

I've run this for several years now and the seat of the pants dyno (not always the most accurate or objective) says I have gained power and torque. I have certainly gained fuel efficiency and it drives very well.

Recently I finally took the thing to a rolling road (chassis dyno), mainly to check that I had safe high rpm/highload settings as this is hard to establish by road mapping. The good/bad news was I was already pretty close and we could only find another 3 bhp.

It did show up an oddity though. As standard the manufacturers claimed 104 bhp @ 5300 rpm and 117lb/ft torque at 3300 rpm. These are probably optimistic.

We achieved 122bhp @ 5600 rpm (probably optimistic as the RR was using a whopping 34bhp trans losses for correction) and 117 lb/ft of torque @ 5100 rpm.

Now I know that comparison of the absolute figures is worthless but what has moved peak torque nearly 2000 rpm up the rev range? I don't have the graph available yet (hope to be able to add this later) but in actual fact the torque curve is quite good from 2000 rpm but with a marked peak between about 4900 and 5300.

As the mechanical parts are near enough stock, this is presumably a "plumbing" effect. I'd like to understand this better as I'd prefer it a bit further down the rev range. The exhaust manifold is a fairly well known aftermarket item and although it has plenty of issues, odd, high rpm torque peaks is not one of its known features.

This leaves my inlet manifold which was designed largely on a "what fits in the gap" principle.
It has 30mm dia runners (matching the head port diameter) 190mm long with another 80 odd mm induction length in the head itself. Runner volume including head port is 190cc.
The plenum volume is 1900cc (90% of displacement). The single throttle body has an ID of 52mm.

It's possible that my runners are a bit large, the head was designed for a 2500cc version and some say the ports are too large for the 2000cc. I think the runners should be longer too but that presents packaging issues. Also the plenum may be a bit large although I have read so much conflicting information on plenum size that I don't know what to think anymore.

I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions on this and may even build another manifold to test any emerging theories.

Thanks for reading

Regards

Nick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Other possibilities to consider:
are you running enough lash to significantly impact _actual_ valve opening/closing events?
has overlap changed somehow? (mismachined cam?)

And the problem is?

You have increased airflow considerably by several methods and you have changed the pulse tuning lengths of both inlet and exhaust and you seem surprised that you have increased the top end torque. What else did you expect to happen?

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

How do the runner lengths in your custom-made intake manifold compare to stock? Shorter would obviously favour high-RPM torque at the expense of the low-end. Ditto increasing diameters. Also, I assume you mean the exhaust header is a 6-2-1, not 6-3-1 variety.

Thanks for the comments:

ivymike, Valve clearances and cam timing are as stock and correct. Cam is the original stock one and lift still measures ok.

Pat, It's not exactly a problem..... you are quite correct, I have increased airflow and changed pulse tuning lengths (and diameters). I was aiming for increased torque and I think I got it although the absolute figure given by the RR doesn't actually say so. My surprise/lack of understanding is as to why the torque peak has moved almost 2000 rpm (not a subtle change) up the rev range and appears as a discrete peak on an otherwise fairly smooth curve when:
- The cam timing, lift, valve size and CR remain the same
- The exhaust manifold, which is a 6-3-1 interferance design is intended for mid-range torque and normally does do just that.
- My inlet manifold has longer (and more equal) runners than stock, but larger diameter.

TDIMeister
New manifold runners are approx 50 - 60mm longer than stock and equal where the stock ones are not. The internal diameter is possibly slightly more but not more than 5mmm.

The exhaust manifold is a 6-3-1 design with 180º cylinders paired for scavenging. It does not have equal length primaries, or anything close but does give a usefull midrange torque boost in most application. It represents the best commercially available design for this car and can undoubtedly be improved on.

Regards

Nick

I don't know how you have the exhaust primaries paired with the firing order, but the arrangement you have seems to be unorthodox. First of all, however, in a 4-stroke cycle straight-6, it's impossible to have 180-degree intervals; it will always be some whole multiple of 120-degrees. If your primaries are paired 1-2,3-4 and 5-6, in a typical inline-6 firing order of 1-5-3-6-2-4, you'll have very uneven exhaust pulsation and certainly a unique exhaust note. Most inline-6 exhausts have a 6-into-2-into-1 design, with 1-2-3 and 4-5-6 primaries grouped together for an even -- and pretty much ideal -- 240-degree interval.

Pat may have landed right on it, as there are first, second and third reversion waves and more but the point is if you moved away from one you will have to go to the next one to feel that scavenging affect.
I know on our land speed racer we just made the runners as close to the valve as we could to get away from tunning to a reversion wave.

In the old days we called in coming on the pipe. Which was a big rush when the cam and reversion wave worked together.

I don't know anything but the people that do.

TDIMeister, you had me worried for a moment.....

However, having thought about it I think you'll find that an inline 6 does have 180º firing pairs.

Mine has firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4 and the linked primaries are 1 & 6, 2 & 5, 3 & 4, which matches the piston pairs that come to TDC together. It sounds nice - I like 6 cylinder music! The experience with 6-2-1 manifolds on this engine family is that they make less power than the standard cast iron effort.

Thundair, maybe I need to make something where I can vary the runner length...? If I could get it to "come on pipe" at 3.5 - 4K I'd probably need to address the brakes next!

Cheers

Nick

Boss cat, the T 6 2.L is not a very torquey motor, compared to the 2.5, so torque will not be much , even if you do get more hp,

as a rule, the smaller the engine,and the more hp you get, the less torque you get lower down

intresting you say that there is a spike at 4900-5300!!

this engine ..should.. not be producing its max torque at this figure,so me thinks some thing is not right

have you actually checked the valve timing your self,and is it installed correctly

as a cam that is not put in right, may move the hp at a rpm site, up or down, so best check it to see

you may have a different cam in to what you think you have

you say you still got the original 9.5.1 comp ratio, but if you have fiddled with the chambers, by removing the sharp edges around the squish ramp,

then unless you have had the head skimmed, then the ratio will be less as you have removed metal from the chambers

the hp, and the torque lines should cross at ... 5252 ...

if they dont, then the figures for the rolling road are not to be believed

as Pat said, you got more air going into the cyls, so more fuel will go in too,plus optimised ign = more power,

the lack off torque could be a number of things,

what ex pipe you running,and its dia, plus the first collector/expansion box, if you got one, needs to be a decent size

putting in a collector on my engine,instead of the straight thru [ as i think you got ] gave me a usefull torque increase, as the engine pulled harder, lower down

as you say, a few folk dismiss the ex manifold you got, but i found that it does work and work quite well,

it is the 6.3.1 1 and 6 2 and 5 and 3 and 4. P, item!!!

i think its only cos they want you to spend a Gran plus on one of their new ones !!, Which basicly look like copies of some of Kas,s old ones!!

slighty odd pipe lenghts will not have that great an effect on the power, on the contrary, instead of it all coming in; in one place, its more ..spread out.., so you got a wider rpm band

this is also why i question the high rpm torque you got

if you want an exhaust to work well, you ..got to tune it to your own set up,

as one for a 2L, will work differently in a 2.5L

it is quite possible you got 120 odd bhp, as you have let more air fuel in, and you say it is at 5600, so only 100 rpm more than standard

but to get that amount of trans loss is a bit iffy !!

put up the RR chart will you

regards Marcus

Boss cat, did not see the pic you got up till now

the ..plenum.. you made up, has it got ..bell mouths.. in the inside of it.

where the inlet runners meet the walls of the plenum!!

if it has,nt then you will be getting ..air stand off.. in there, and the more revs you use the more it will be happening

have a look inside a PI air box to see what i mean

if you have not, then try putting some in

regards marcus

If you have a 6-cylinder, 4-stroke engine with an even firing order, you can ONLY have 720°/6=120° firing intervals, and correspondingly 120° intake- and exhaust intervals. IMHO you need to revisit your header design as a culprit for your engine's performance characteristics. The 1-6, 2-5, 3-4 layout has all your exhaust pulses arriving at the last collector at even 120-degree intervals, but your primaries are doing absolutely nothing to help scavenging since you have a windage period of 360°CA. In other words, to illustrate, when cylinder 1's exhaust valve opens, it's a full 360 degrees (granted it's actually less, because of exhaust duration >180°CA) before cylinder 6, which is paired with cylinder 1, has its exhaust event. Ditto the other pairs.

P.S.: 180-degree pairs would have one cylinder @ TDC and the other at BDC. Both at TDC can ONLY be 0° (parallel firing; not the case), or 360° as I stated above.

Marcus,

To answer your last question first, the plenum does not have bellmouths inside, but there is a decent radius where they meet. The runners meet the plenum at angle (packaging issue), this makes bellmouths tricky.

I do have a set of PI throttle bodies and plenum which could be modified and might make an interesting comparison.

I agree it is unexpected to have a torque spike at this point, hence the questions. I'm actually pretty happy with the way it goes, it just struck me that if I could bring the spike down the rpm range a bit it would be more useful

I am quite sure that the camshaft is the original and I'm also sure that it is timed correctly as I checked while the head was off in case the chain had stretched and retarded the timing. The cylinder head was skimmed to correct the CR after the other work was done.
I did measure the chamber volumes (burette) so I'm confident that is right too.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying about the exhaust? In it's current form my exhaust goes from the 3 secondary pipe to 1 by the bellhousing. At that point there is an expansion chamber-come-silencer about 4" diameter and 15" long. The 3 secondaries go directly into this so it acts as the collector. The exit is 2". This is not the normal pattern with these manifolds which usually taper sharply down to 2" at the collector There are two more absorbtion type (straight through) silencers further back.

As I said in my OP the fuel and ignition is controlled by Megasquirt so adjustment is easy and I have a wideband sensor so I have a fairly good idea whats going on with regard to AFR.

Thanks for your interest - which one do you have?

Regards

Nick

TDIMeister, ok, I see the light - 360º not 180º (what was I thinking of?). But isn't this the same scenario as a 4-2-1 on a 4 cyl? It's pretty well accepted they work isn't it?

Your comment about the 120º at the secondaries is very interesting though as it makes my large volume collector/expansion chamber/silencer look like a scavenge killer...... Needs more thought - but well past bedtime now.

Regards

Nick

I am not familia with this engine, but if you have shaved the head, you have changed the cam timing slightly if it is OHC.

If you got the timing one full tooth out, it is quite probable the engine would not run at all or would be a complete dog.

Marcus

I never saw a loss of torque mentioned, just a shift in maximum torque.

As the car seems to perform well obove stock levelsin all aspects,I still wonder what the problem is.

If you really want more torque fit a bigger engine.

Regards
Pat
for site rules

This thread is really degrading re the level of engineering being discussed, like confusing a collector with a muffler and not getting degrees rotation between firing correct. That is pretty basic. 720 degrees equals 4 strokes, divided by number of cylinders equals degrees between firing for an engine with an even firing interval. If both pistons are at TDC at the same time that is 360 deg separation. If it is a 6 cylinder, that is 120 deg separation. If every 2nd cylinder in the firing order is fed into one intermediate pipe that is 270 de separation which is virtually on pulse immediately after the other which is obviously good for performance.

Regards
Pat
for site rules

Changing compression ratio has little if any effect on where the torque curve is. It simply effects the magnitude.

A radius leading into the runner is effectively a bell mouth even if not an ideal bell mouth. A bell mouth simply smooth the transition into the runner so as to more gradually increase air velocity as it enters the runner.

Regards
Pat
for site rules

Bosscat, been trying to figure out why you hav got 20 odd hp more, at only 100 rpm more.

but have ...still... got only 117 lb/ft torque at approx ..2100 rpm more !!!

Pat said you have not ..lost any torque..

but i see this as a half truth, as you will have lost torque at the original 3000 rpm site, which will leave a considerable flat spot down there, and lower down

It has got to be a combination of , inlet design, and ex system dia/length

a matter of elimination, unless some one can say why you got this quirk

see attachment sent of similar engine, and note where the two lines cross, ALL engines should cross at 5252, if not then rr is at fault

regards Marcus

but is the rolling road print out to be trusted!!!

we really must see the print out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back