Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pearlite-reduced steel - anyone familiar? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

coalmonkey

Mining
Mar 21, 2005
US
I have recently purchased a large quantity of 3/16" plate at an auction with the following chemistry:
Carbon 0.056
Silicon 0.331
Mangenese 1.16
Chromium 0.026
Molybdenum 0.008
Nickel 0.011
Niobium 0.040
Titanium 0.008
Vanadium 0.101
Iron 98.111
Our formability and weldability tests results were excellent with this steel - even better than A36, probably due to the extremely low carbon.

What I would like to find out is what type of steel this is. After researching it on Matweb and key-to-steel the only info I could find is that it might be a Vanadium-Niobium microalloy referred to as Pearlite-reduced steel. Does anyone know what alloy number this would correspond to and what it is primarily used for? Since I will be using it in place of mild steel this question is mainly to satisfy my curiosity, not for design reasons.

Thanks for any information,
Coalmonkey

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would suggest that you have some tensile test specimens made and determine uts, tys and %elongation. Then you should be able to pin it down, given that you know the chemistry.

These steels were generally used for low temperature applications, with relatively high yield strength (> 60 ksi). Most often they were controlled rolled to produce an acicular ferrite microstructure. As swall recommended, have some tensile tests made. These materials can be recertified with appropriate testing in accordance with an ASTM standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back