Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PED 97/23/EC tmin calc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NovaStark

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2013
US
I have a vessel which says is designed in accordance to PED 97/23/EC however I am trying to locate what the tmin calc would be for the vessel.

This code seems to just have general guidelines and no actual formula of what should be used.

For anyone that has ever used this code, does this mean that I can design to BS EN 13445 or AD2000 and it would still be in compliance with the PED as far as the design criteria go ?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=cd30dd57-e930-49f5-8783-81608dc70dfc&file=PED_97_23_EC_Design.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PED 97/23/EC is NOT a design code , is a european directive for introducing on the market pressure vessels.
Most likely your vessel is designed according to EN 13445-3 which is in compliance with PED .
I am not sure if AD2000 is in full compliance with PED.

GheorgheCristian said:
PED 97/23/EC is NOT a design code , is a european directive for introducing on the market pressure vessels.
Most likely your vessel is designed according to EN 13445-3 which is in compliance with PED .
I am not sure if AD2000 is in full compliance with PED.

That makes sense. The PV has written on a certificate that the vessel design, manufacturing and testing meets the requirements of EC 97/23 and respond to the AD 2000 rules.

The drawing states that the vessel is according to EC 97/23 and testing using AD2000.

Using the calculations in AD2000 and 13445 indicate that the vessel would be designed to 13445 in terms of the minimum thicknesses.

AD2000 has an appendix, if I remember correctly, to show it can provide compliance to the PED. It is however not a harmonized standards, therefore it doesn't have direct presumption of conformity with the PED, and the manufacturer has to show this how he has done that.

Please note the PED 97/23/EC has been replaced by PED 2014/68/EU. The latter is not really different but has some changes to the old one. The new one is in charge as of 19 July 2016, where date of delivery is typically seen as date of applicability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back