PED valves use in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lolain4238

Industrial
Nov 7, 2023
FR
Hello,

I'm working in a company manufacturing industrial refrigeration equipments such as shut off valves, check valves, strainers etc...

We have some customers in the United States buying our products and selling them to their customers on the US market, and others are incoporating them in their builds (air-cooled Chillers).

We have always been clear with them that our products comply only with PED but not with ASME.

I don't really understand how they are able to use our products considering they don't met ASME requirements ?

Thanks in advance.

Giannis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASME what?

PED is a safety directive and set of requirements, ASME is a set of codes and standards.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Hello,

Our products comply with 2014/68/EU and are CE stamped.

I'm not sure but I guess that the "directive" in the US is the ASME BPVC but I'm not certain.

Thanks in advance

Giannis

Hello,

Yes that's why I was asking because I'm pretty sure they are not using our products without having the right to do so.

But I really wonder how they they manage to use them.

Do you know what kind of applications where it could not matter ?

Is there any chance that if the US manufacturer qualifies the unit then all the components are considered qualified too or something similar ? I don't have any knowledge about units building directives.

Thank you in advance.

Giannis

Are there valves manufactured to a recognised ASME code like B16.34??

If not what code are they designed and manufactured to?

PED is not the same as ASME VIII.

My guess is that the bits of equipment if its small bore / small volume HCAV equipment doesn't fall into the realms of being a Pressure Vessel (too small a volume or not enough pressure)so you can use virtually whatever you want.

But even if it did, so long as the item in question is designed and manufactured in accordance with a listed ASME code then that's all you need, AFAIK.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thank you for answer

These valves are not manufactured according to B16.34 but according to EN 12516-2 only. These products are manufactured in Europe and mainly sold across Europe.

They are considered pressure vessels given the volume and pressure levels (> 20 bar) they are designed for.

That's why I don't understand how they manage to use them in the United States without having any issues with the local requirements. I know for sure that the units they build are designed, sold and operating in the US and not sold in other countries.

Giannis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back