Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PED Welding requirments

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffidratkram

Industrial
May 16, 2008
US
We have an ISO compliant welding qual. process using the ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code, section IX as a guide. We are also trying to sort through EN 287-1 & EN 15614-1 to comply with TUV directions for PED requirements. I was wondering if anyone has experience trying to implement the TUV welding requirments to these EN standards and the challenges you faced.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi ffidratkram (difficult!)

Previous German national ntandards (DIN) on welder qualification included a written job knowledge test. That is why Annex C is included in EN287, but note its not mandatory. However TUV tried to push it through for all work where Germany was the end destination of the welded product. When I worked for a filtration/PV manufacturer in the UK, the welders had to undergo a job knowledge test. Keep it simple though and dont scare away your welders!!!

Nigel Armstrong
Karachaganak Petroleum
Kazakhstan

Hartford Steam Boiler and their Notified Body, HSB International, allow the ASME Section IX to be used to qualify PED WPS and WPQ. You do have to perform additonal tests on the PQR coupon, but all ranges, positions, etc. are per Section IX. Much nicer if you are using Section IX ASME already. You don't buy (or look at) any EN standards at all.

Full Disclosure: I work for HSB. They have problems with the PED implementation in the US like all notified bodies, but their welding method is the best by far for existing ASME Certificate holders with Section IX knowledge, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back