Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pedestrian Bridge Failure in Mexico 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you watch the video, the guy dressed in black on the right side of the walkway, and who was left hanging on the railing, he was jumping up and down just before the deck fell.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

I don't think they were connected. Looking at both the before and after views, it looks like the deck had it's own set of cables underneath the walkway, which separated from the end of what looks like a concrete bridge/walkway.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

I don't even think they were at 50psf...

Capture1_jqqjus.jpg

Noticed that... I'm happy that no one appears to have been seriously injured.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Do you feel any better?

-Dik

Thanks for the post Joel... it puts live loading into perspective.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Do you feel any better?

-Dik

I stand corrected. The remaining chains were just a makeshift railing. Still think it was a DIY job, probably by someone who didn't even know the meaning of live loading. 'It's the connections, stupid.'

Seems to me, if you aren't all that familiar with "live load" and such, you would overbuild.

You shoulda seen the overbuilding by myself when I designed and built a 3' square platform that I was going to stand on, several floors above concrete. 3/8" bolts were barely good enough!

spsalso

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back