Pedestrian connectivity during construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

moccy80

Civil/Environmental
Jun 7, 2023
AU
Hi,
A bridge is being designed to carry cars and pedestrians across a rail line and this bride does not meet the requirement to carry disabled pedestrians in wheelchairs. What other type arrangement could be used to help the disabled across? maybe ramp switchbacks? is there such a thing as temporary elevator shafts attached to the abutments to lift disabled up to the bridge?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sure. But why make them temporary?

That reads like you are only interested in providing disabled access during construction? That's a bit strange. Do you provide temporary access for cars too? I don't think there is any criteria to provide access during construction. After construction, yes, disabled access is probably required. If there will be none, then my question stands, why make it temporary?

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

It depends on the laws where you are. In the US, a pedestrian facility open to the public has to meet minimum standards for accessibility for all people with mobility or vision problems, unless they can prove it isn't "technically feasible."

My glass has a v/c ratio of 0.5

Maybe the tyranny of Murphy is the penalty for hubris. -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back