Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PEEQ and PE Outputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynus

Mechanical
May 22, 2015
SE
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the PEEQ and PE Outputs in ABAQUS.

PEEQ is a scalar and gives the Plastic Strain resulting from Equivalent VM Stresses therefore both tensile and compressive Stresses above the Yielding limit will contribute.

PE is not a scalar but a tensor. therefore one can look for tension or compression indipendently. By looking at the Max Principal value of PE, one can see the Plastic Strain due to Tension in the model.

Now, if i am correct in my assumptions:

I would say that in a model where both compressive and tensile stresses are acting on the material due to e.g. a cyclic loading than PEEQ is a very interesting quantity to look at.

Instead, on a model where tension is the main Stress and compressive stresses are mainly caused by e.g. contact interfaces, by looking at PE Max Principal value one would see the plastic deformation at the end of the "event" which is due to tensile stresses, and exclude peaks which might be due to e.g. stiffening of the contact interface.

Just let me know what you think about my reasoning here.

All help is welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back