Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Peformance Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian01

Mechanical
May 1, 2003
GB
I have had a reply from Our SW support. I am told SW2003 addresses features in a totally different way than 2001+.

There are obvious benefits from this, like being able to have disjointed bodies in one part.

I am also informed the way that SW2003 looks back up the feature tree and assesses every feature, is a intentional FEATURE!!!.

I have found this cause massive problems when parts are created with external references. Massive slow down.

Seems its the Parasolid route for me.

Will keep everyone informed about any further response from SW.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't noticed a massive slowdown. While it is not mind boggling fast, it isn't slower to me. I actually like 2003 a lot better than 2001+.

For whatever that is worth.

Mr. Pickles

Hello Ian,

If the problem is the External References, please note that you can Lock (i.e. Freeze) the External References and unlock them when you need to update the model.

This way you are in control.

Cheers,

Joseph

Slight improvement with the performance by using the SP3.1 pack.

Not solved the problem though. still slower than 2001+.

Thanks for surgestion to switch off external references, but we need those to keep all the parts in sync.

Still try to solve it.

regards

I can't count how many times I have told people this out here and at comp.cad.solidworks, but I have found this to help speed up peoples issues with SW03. It has fixed other issues that most of you would probably surprised to know. If it doesn't work for you that's fine, but at least try it if you haven't already. You can always backup to the way things were before if you continue reading down the FAQ.

faq559-507

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [elephant2][worm]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

Amen, Scott (SBaugh)!!!! I also agree with DetriotPickles and josephv. I think your speed problems must be caused to something else, Ian01 - possibly showing up during external reference operations. For example, are your referenced files on a network...?

I think we all need to remember that the additional or revised logical steps required in software as complex as this in order to provide enhancements overall, often seem to be a two edged sword for some users. Scott hit the nail on the head. Things may not appear to be ideal or necessary changes or even an improvement to some of us. However, the deeper you look into the logic of the program requirements the more you realise that they are giving us better control, accuracy and fidelity. The software makes it all so easy and realworld-like today that we forget how difficult it is to create, maintain and enhance this virtual simulation we are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back