Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Percent Percent value....... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bot1357

Electrical
Mar 31, 2003
GB
Sorry if this has been covered before but I am after the percent percent value for mm2. I want the 2 to be smaller and on the top right of the last m.

Cheers
Danjo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dpa,

1. You can write this only with True Type fonts (Arial, Times etc) not with Romans and others.
2. To do this you have to:
- launch the command Multiline Text (_mtext in Autocad 2000)
- change the font to Arial or other TT font.
- start writing in the windowL: m m then press the Alt key and with that key pressed, press one after each other the keys 0178.
- Release all keys and you will obtain the mm2 correct.

Doru
doru7171@hotpop.com

?? Is not working ?? the symbol should be ASCII, not something specific to a keyboard/language (my keyboard is english) !!

Hello,

I'm confused now!! Does DORU's procedure work in 2000LT??

I can't get it to work, i followed the steps exactly (would be really useful for cable sizes etc).

Yeah sure,

I followed the below procedure exactly, but no success. When i tried to initially select Arial as the font, it kept reverting to 'TXT' font instead. Only after having written the text could i change it to Arial?? (Don't know if this is relevant)

"launch the command Multiline Text (_mtext in Autocad 2000)
- change the font to Arial or other TT font.
- start writing in the windowL: m m then press the Alt key and with that key pressed, press one after each other the keys 0178.
- Release all keys and you will obtain the mm2 correct."

It is very relevant ! I happened to me also a few times but you have to insist. Just immediately after the mtext command you have to change the font to Arial and immediately after the change you have to start typing.

It works also by writing first with TXT font and then changing it. Try this:
- launch MTEXT
- write the text "XX" using the TXT font (or any other font Autocad likes).
- select the text, change its font to Arial, Times etc.
- put the cursor between the X's
- write insite m m Alt+0178 (after this you will probably obtain the correct symbol between the two X's)
- delete the first and the second X

Or you can just go to
and download the block containing the mm2 text :)

Regards,
Doru

Nope, sorry chap, you got me beat!! Tried it all ways round (it's becoming a personal challenge now!![wink]) I am using Autocad 2000 LT, presumably it will still work?

Do you need to register with the Topcities site to download the block?

I do not see a reason why 2000LT should not work... (again I have never worked with LT)

No, you don't need to log.... just click my link and launch "Save target as..."

When you use MTEXT, there is a button called "symbol", and you can add all kinds of symbols, without remembering the exact ASCII number.

[gorgeous]

Here is a monkey-proof trick for writing superscripts and subscripts without having to remember the ascii codes.
Superscript
1: Put the "^" symbol AFTER the word or number you want superscripted
2: Right-click the text and "^" symbol
3: Choose "stack"

Superscript Examples
"mm2^" turns into mm[sup]2[/sup]
"Mr. Flores^" turns into Mr.[sup]Flores[/sup]

Subscript
1. Put the "^" symbol BEFORE the word or number you want subscripted
2. Right-click the "^" symbol and text
3. Choose "stack"

Subscript Examples
"mm^2" turns into mm[sub]2[/sub]
"Mr. ^Flores" turns into Mr.[sub]Flores[/sub]

You have to do this in mtext; I use Arial, but it works with other true-type fonts.

Hope this helps,
Flores

Either I am stupid (more than likely) or it does not work for Acad 2000LT tried the lot still cannot get it done.

laters
Danjo

Hi friends of squared mm,

first I'm sorry. The right code is "mm%%178".

I think it's not a version-problem. It's a textfont-problem. In Romansd the mm² are not defined. It's not working in ADT2004 too!!!

@ACLt 2000-users: Try textfont Arial. Don't forget "_regen"

Hope it helps,

Lothar

When I'm going to be working with super- and subscripts, I use a dedicated font which has all numbers 0-9, available in both superscript and subscript.

The fonts I use are Chemistry Serif and ChemistrySansSerif by J. Eric Slone.

They can be downloaded for free at
They also include upper and lower case greek as well as some other scientific symbols.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back