Perforated Pipe Distributor Design for diffusion of gas in a aqueous solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luisa89

Bioengineer
Jan 4, 2022
IT
Hi everyone.
please, I need some help for a project I am working on. My collegues and I are designing a pharmaceutical vessel for the preparation of injectable solutions. Now we need to design a gas sparger (in particular, Nitrogen sparger). The only data we have are the gas flow rate (25 Nm3/h), the nitrogen conditions (Patm and T=20 °C) and size of the pipe feeding the nitrogen (3/4"). Our unknown values are the length of the sparger, the number of holes and the diameter of holes. I have searched everywhere, first of all in Perry's, but I have found only the formula for DeltaP calculation through a perforated-pipe.
Please, could you help me for solving this problem and optmize the design of the sparger?

Thanks for your kindness and your help.
Luisa

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

People put this into a spreadsheet and solve by relaxation.
They pick a value for one (what is the smallest hole practical to drill) and then iterate until they get convergence.
Not a big deal, the answer isn't exact anyway.
But as mentioned above, heating the solution and pulling even a modest vacuum will greatly speed (10x) the process.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

If distributor performance is critically important, then you'll have to do some experimental testing. Calculations can't reliably produce in a design that meets performance requirements.

Hi Luisa,
I cannot offer more . Read my last reply , you need to perform calculation then do some trial to reach the optimum performance .
If this is of great importance for your process , you should consult Vendor like Morton I suggested to you .For this case you need to prepare a spec sheet and submit to them to get a quote .
Good luck
Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back