Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance NX5-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgmug

Automotive
Dec 4, 2008
IT
What is the best hardware configuration for NX5-6?
What is the best O.S.?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is very difficult to state exactly what constitutes the 'best' configuration for any version of NX. Note that while this might sound trite, generally speaking, the 'best' configuration is almot always the most expensive one that you can afford to buy.

But to be a bit more specific, don't try and save money on things like putting less than the maximum amount of memory that the system will support (you may have to temper this a bit when dealing with 64bit system, but it's certainly true with 32bit).

Also, if you have the option, pick hard drives with the fastest speed (in RPM's) as well as the biggest cache and smallest seek time. And don't skimp on the graphics card either, although the ones touted to be the high-end for gaming may not buy you as much for things like CAD. Generally speaking, you should get a professional grade graphics card and not one design JUST for gamers.

Note that the cost of a Spaceball, no matter what model you buy, will pay for itself almost immediately.

And large format (24 inch or better) high-res monitors generally are a good investment, but I wouldn't put it ahead of memory or a fast disk drive.

As for the CPU itself, once you get past either a dual-core or a dual-CPU, the benefits seen by NX are pretty well already there, so don't waste money on quad-cores unless you might be using this workstation for more than just NX, particularly if you're going to be running multiple applications at once.

As for the OS, at this point in time, if you're buying new, go for 64bit. And for all it's faults, it's till pretty hard to beat Windows XP Professional, although a lot of people like the look and feel of Vista, it's just that the corporate world is still firmly on Win-XP.

Anyway, while this doesn't give you any brand names, it at least should help when you start comparing spec's and looking at where you're putting your money.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Just a note, that for whatever reason, it seems hard right now to find a vendor with the ability to ship Windows XP Pro 64. Many vendors list the product, but don't actually have the software in stock.

Anyone got a good source to buy Windows XP Pro 64?

In my experience you better buy a dualcore (of 3 GHz) than a quad core ( of 2 GHz).

It seems than UG only use one core to do the mayor calculations. For updating drawings in drafting it only use one core, also at modeling when it will rebuilding because of a change at the part navigator (when changing an extrude or a dimension)it will use one core.

I use nx5 with win xp 32bit with a quad core (1.5 GHz); 2gb ram and a Quadro fx5600 and I was disappointed of the speed of this computer.
When the computer is busy calculating it use only 25% of the processor.

Good luck choosing your computer.

To start with, NX does support SMP (Statistical Multi-Processing), just that it's limited to only those functions which are using the Parasolid kernel (although in NX 6 the built-in AVI (movie capture) function also leverages SMP if it's available) such as Boolean updates, Mass Property calculations, and Hidden Line Calculations.

Now as for the Windows CPU monitor reporting % of CPU usage, that is a TOTAL CPU usage so is you're running a single-threaded application on the dual-core machine the best it will show is 50% and if was a quad-core, 25%. That's just the way Windows does the reporting, so it looks worse than what it is. However, that being said, a quad-core is not as efficient as it might be since the 4 cores are sharing common interfaces, like memory and the storage bus. So while the CPU can do multiple things at the same time other aspects of the system are still single-threaded as it were. That being said, your original comment, which I also iterated, that anything more than Dual-core is probably a waste is basically true with respect to running NX and the only or virtually only application.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Cypress, CA

I am currently working on a Quad-core system and I use the batch processing in manufacturing alot. I do a lot of 3,4,5 axis milling where it takes 1-3 hours to generate to tool paths. With regards to Windows task manager, if I have one batch running it used 25% of the CPU, 2 batches 50% etc. Does the quad-core system allow me to run more batches then a dual core system would?

If I had a dual core computer would a single batch generate faster then on my quad core?

I'm not smart when it comes to computer hardware at all, so thanks to anyone for input.

John

Technically speaking, a single-thread application will run faster on a dual-core system than on a quad-core system. Also, if all else is equal, a dual-CPU single-core system will run faster than a single-CPU dual-core system.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Cypress, CA

What impact have NX on the following?
a) amount of memory cache on the processor
b) FSB (Front Side Bus)
c) memory speed
Thank you all.

Ciao.

Shouldn't your question be the other-way-round?

What's the impact on NX of the following?
a) amount of memory cache on the processor
b) FSB (Front Side Bus)
c) memory speed

Like any sufficiently complex application which both uses a lot of memory for the code as it executes as well as for the dynamic storage of the in-process model, anything that can be done to speed-up the data flow into and out of memory will be a benefit to NX. For example, since NX is dynamically loaded and is large enough that it swaps chunks in and out as needed, the amount and the speed of processor cache is important, which is also the same for the main memory since lots of data will be moving as NX is executed and as the model is updated and changed, particularly when working with large assemblies where components are first partially loaded and then later fully loaded as you access them for various operations.

Anyway, as I outlined in my first post to this thread, generally you get what you pay for, so buy the fastest and most and you won't be disappointed.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Cypress, CA

The other way around this is to chastise anyone who singles out a few factors failing to understand that the lowest common denominator will provide a bottle neck that slows you down. There is a need to discuss system configuration from a bang for your buck perspective in an environment where hardware rapidly becomes obsolete you can easily overspend and find in so doing that your system life may not be sufficiently extended to justify the expense. Graphics, Disk Speed, Processor Speed, Caches, Motherboard and Memory are all links in a chain that need to be balanced in order to deliver optimal performance with CAD applications. Graphics cards suited to gaming do not necessarily provide optimal CAD performance, but many reconditioned graphics cards may be overpriced and over specified unless you're really doing a lot of rendering animation and/or large assemblies. Consider what your use for the system is and be honest in so doing. Most users find that they can get by using affordable systems with more frequent upgrades. The ability to pick so well as to get an extra year out of a system often means that you probably you didn't need to spend so much in the first place.

Go Dual core and look at 64Bit as it is the way of the future but be prepared for some hassles with drivers. I usually pick the next to latest best performed processor from Intel, meaning one I can afford without having to buy the very latest that is usually overpriced because some people will always pay a premium for the last 5% to outdo their colleagues in a virtual pissing contest. You'll need between 4 and 8 Gb of RAM and do go for the highest or second highest speed if you're trading off cost for quantity. Get a reasonable sized high RPM hard disk for you O/S and working file 80-100Gb should be okay as you'll pay too much as you go higher. If you have other file storage requirements beyond that on the same system you can add in a second larger lower spec disk at a more reasonable price, so that you then manage your storage requirements accordingly. Get a good Graphics card for CAD most of the NVidia Cards have the better reputation with NX but research your choice and pick really carefully if you're going for a 64Bit system. You can overspend here so as a guide look for something with 512Mb of RAM on the Graphics card that is priced between $300-500, but not higher unless you're certain that you really need it. After you've decided all that then you pick a motherboard with the ability to accommodate the system you have chosen. You'll find the cost differential between motherboards is not usually so large as to make or break a cost effective purchase.

Check out tomhardware.com for a few benchmarks to get an idea of what performace advantages are really on offer, but be wary that the Graphics benchmarks are mainly for gaming so it will be difficult to conclude much from them.

Try to find a built system with similar specs to your desired combination. Dell, Mac, and HP are all recognised as good and you may be able to buy a more balanced configuration than you might build for yourself, but be aware that you'll usually pay a slight premium over your local reputable computer dealer. I find that desktops for me tend to come from the computer dealer purely for cost reasons. I buy laptops from one of the three that I mentioned and have also had a Sony that was quite good.

Good Luck

Hudson

I came across this while looking looking for memory to upgrade my Dell M90. While it mentioned Dell specifically, further research showed that other laptops have the same failing. So make sure that all of your system is 64 bit or a 64 bit OS won't reach it's full potential.

Network speed...

One area our company really improved was the upgrade to a Gigabit (1gbps) network last year. As all our work is saved across the network, it really speeds up things as well.

--
Bill

mmauldin,

In fairness to Dell those aren't the kind of systems recommended for running NX. I think certain Dell systems are certified for NX, but at this late stage the old 945 systems are fairly outdated. It illustrates my earlier point about the lowest common denominator, but in general the newer systems sold are set up to do a job for a price. The difficulty you have with online stores can be that the customer is able to configure a wide range of available components sometimes in ways that might go against good judgement.

cheers

Hudson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back