Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permanent soldier pile wall with precast lagging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuccio

Geotechnical
Sep 18, 2008
US
Just a quick question. I have done a search on this site regarding permanent solder pile walls and precast lagging and it seams it is only done as a bottom up method which I understand why. My question is can a soldier pile wall be built top down as usual but have the timber lagging back lagged against the rear flange and then install the precast lagging bottom up backfilled with gravel and a Mira drain material?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That seems like a lot of work to install concrete panels. I would question how you attach the wooden lagging to the back flange, normally the lagging is held in-place by the earth behind it, pressing on the outside flange.

I don't believe it is a very practical solution to the problem, but I also don't have extensive experience with the system.

Yes. It can be done. However, you may want (need) to use a soldier beam with a larger depth to more easily fit the timber lagging, drainage materials, and precast. If the wall is a cantilevered soldier beam wall, this is not too hard. If the wall has tieback anchors, it is more complicated.

This is for a project that I am looking into. The retaining was are mostly in the 10' height range with a few up to 12'. They where originally designed as Large SRW system. The problem is that they are on the property line and do not have room to install the wall properly. Some one suggested soldier piles walls and now some walls have switched to permanent soldier pile walls. The owner wants precast lagging or a CIP facing on the walls. All the piles will be drilled in so proper placement should not be a problem. The toe of the pile will be in dense material/ sandstone so a cantilever design should work. If we go with precast lagging I would assume we need corrosion protection on the piles? It might be easier to just install the piles as normal and install a single sided form and pour a face against the timber lagging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back