Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permanently disable cursor box

Status
Not open for further replies.

QG

Nuclear
Apr 2, 2013
US

It is becoming painfully obvious that the people who write this infernal software don't use it.

When in sketch there is a useless and very annoying box that floats on the cursor, how can this useless and annoying box be permanently disabled.

Hitting F3 is not acceptable, it is ridiculous to think that every time you want the box gone you have to hit yet another button (as if we don't already have to hit enough buttons to get even the simplest task completed)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well that so-called 'box' has been there for years. It's where you can enter the desired dimensions of whatever you're creating and if you're using one of the more recent versions, such as NX 8.5 or NX 9.0, if you DO enter a value in this 'box' and hit the tab key at least once, when you do finally create the sketch object, the constraint dimensions will have automatically been created (not some auto-dims but an actual CONSTRAINT dimensions and their accompanying expressions). Now if you can figure out another way to do all of that using some other scheme just as easy to use and not something that you have turn ON every time you wanted to use this capability, please feel free to contact GTAC and open an ER (Enhancement Request) explaining how you would do it.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Let's see, maybe after you place the dimension you edit it, seems to work fine that way in a very number of programs.

Totally ridiculous that you have to see this distraction follow the cursor everywhere covering up what you are trying to work on.

For the people that like the functionality, fine. For those who don't it is actually quite stupid that there is no way to permanently turn it off.

While I see your point, John's suggestion about the ER is probably the best route you can take as a user. You won't get much action from Siemens programmers by stating your opinion and dislike about something on this particular forum (or any other for that matter).

You can try using profile and hit the F3 key once and your annoyance will stay off through the entire process of placing lines and arcs until you middle click (mouse button 2 or MB2). I understand where you're coming from and am aware that this doesn't work on every curve command in Sketcher. I've been of your opinion about different things over the years, but the best results I ever got were from the ER process. Sure, it takes time, but if you're as passionate about your opinion as it reads, then you'll try to see it through.

Sounds like you've used other softwares over the years and while you might not have had a complaint about any of them, I could probably sit down and quickly find just as many stupid and ridiculous things that they do or don't do - it's the nature of software sometimes. Be glad that Siemens at least attempts to listen to their customers and doesn't just throw something at you with very little user input.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 8.0.3.4
Win7 Pro x64 SP1
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

True, there are plenty of annoyances that can be found with any cad system, however, in my travels, I have found almost all could be dealt with at the user level, and none have been as egregious as this.

I will take the advice of more the experienced users and use F3 or learn to live with this dialouge box I will heretofore refer to as my nemesis.

As far as the siemens programmers go, if they can't handle criticism then they will not grow and learn. I stand by my orginal statement that if they had to use what they create there would be myriad changes to the functionality.

Appreciate all the input, I will incorporate it into my now daily routine.

These sorts of forums are not where programmers spend their time. If you want to get a message to the people who actually write the code, contact GTAC and have them open an ER. That is the only way that you will be sure that your concerns and ideas about what you would like to see changed will actually be seen by a developer.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back