Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

permeability estimate from fines content 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgailla

Geotechnical
Dec 23, 2004
US
I am trying to come up with a rough seepage estimate for a wet detention pond in which the design normal water level is about 1.5 feet below the groundwater level.

The site is mostly clayey sand.

I used to have a correlation between fines content and permeability, but I just moved offices and can't find anything.

This is one of those things that shouldn't cause a problem but I need data to bring to the permitting agency.

Does anyone know of a rough correlation between k and fines for clayey (or silty) sands?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

jgailla....Sowers has a table in his book for reasonable correlation. Das probably does as well. Mine are packed up or I'd check them for you. In general, clean sands will be in 10^-3 range, while clays will be in the 10^-7 range. Clayey sands will generally be in the 10^-5 range (+/-).

Here's the relationship given in a military publication...
Check the figure on page 10.

Thanks Ron. This is exactly what I was looking for. I had Das and Budhu, but the ranges didn't address sand-clay mixtures.

Check out Terzaghi Peck and Mesri - they report, from recollection, new correlations of material permeabilities after Kenney.

For clean sands one can use Hazen's equation:
k = C.(D10)^2
D10 = diameter for 10% finer
You can use an average value for C, C = 1.
If you take D10 in mm, your k value will come out as cm/s.

If you have even small amount of fines (clays/silts) this may reduce your k dramatically. So Hazen's k value may be your upper boundary since you have clayey sand.

I agree with Ron. 10^-5 cm/s is a good approximation for clayey sand. For fine sands, mixtures of sand, silt and clay I would say the range k = 10^-4 to 10^-6 cm/s.

hope this helps

NHSlide - if you check out later studies (i.e., Kenney), they are now arguing that using the D5 size is more appropriate. The Hazen's coefficient was really only for clean medium sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back