Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Perpendicularity Length measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayhawk

Aerospace
Nov 2, 2006
US
Hi guys, I am using a Mitutoyo QM-Data200 2D data processing unit on a horizontal projector to measure parts. When I go to measure perpendicularity between two features, the machine requires me to input a length value. I assume this length is the length of the feature I am checking the perpendicularity of, but it seems odd to me that they would ask something that the machine should be able to easily calculate. I have gone through the user manual, and it does not address perpendicularity measurement. From what I can find in the ASME Y14.5-1994 spec, no length is required when measuring perpendicularity, so why does the machine want a length value here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When checking perpendicularity, the tolerance value is always given in linear units. At first it might sound funny to be measuring an angle to a tolerance in mm or inches, but think of that tolerance as a bandwidth. Over the length of that surface, the surface may not tilt outside of that bandwidth.

So that's probably why it needs to know the length. I don't know enough about the inspection machine to say why it can't figure it out for itself if that feature has already been measured for length.

John-Paul Belanger
Certified Sr. GD&T Professional

So then would you say I should put in the length of the feature I am checking the perpendicularity on? That seems like a fair assumption to me, but I was hoping somebody else might be familiar with this type of machine.

Well, a bit of a week answer but some tolerances can be specified over a unit length if memory serves, maybe it's to allow that? I can't recall if perpendicularity is one of them though.

However I'd have thought even if that's the reason, it's default should be the feature length.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Flatness & straightness are allowed on a per unit length basis to ensure that there are no sudden transitions. There's no support for per-unit-length specification of orientation controls in the standards ('94 or '09), and you could still use flatness or straightness per unit length as a refinement of other controls.

Jim Sykes, P.Eng, GDTP-S
Profile Services TecEase, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back