Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pervaporation Mathematical Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

KedarS

Chemical
Feb 26, 2003
IN
I need a mathematical model for Pervaporation for simulation. Any book/url/helpful tip may work. Thanks in advance.
Kedar

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try contacting Dr Robert Field at Oxford University UK. You could also try Bath University Chemical Engineering Department who have done some work in this area.

Regards

David G

Hi Kedar,

you may look for this literature:
A. Heintz, W. Stephan: A generalized solution-diffusion model of the pervaporation process through composite membranes
Part I. Prediction of mixture solubilities in the dense active layer using the UNIQUAC model, Journal of Membrane Science 89(1994)143-151.
A. Heintz, W. Stephan: A generalized solution-diffusion model of the pervaporation process through composite membranes
Part II. Concentration polarization, coupled diffusion and the influence of the porous support layer, Journal of Membrane Science 89(1994)153-169.
Heintz and Stephan used PVA/PAN membranes for their water/alcohol separation experiments and simulation, resp.

Please note: Influence of liquid boundary layer and the membrane support, resp., can be essential and should allways be considered!

B.K. Srinivas, M.M. El-Halwagi: Optimal design of pervaporation systems for waste reduction, Computers chem Engng, 17(1993)957-970.
Connection of several PV stages for optimal network operation.

Best regards

Lorenz Kraetz

Hi Lorenz,
Thanks for your help. The references ypu have suggested are more on the Sorption-Diffusion modeling of pervaporation. I'm working on the Pore flow model of Pervaporation. Still I'm stuck up at the determination/calculation of the surface viscosity. Please can you help me in that respect?Thanks.
Kedar

During the Achema show being held from May 19th through 24th in Frankfurt, Sulzer Chemtech Membrane Systems will be showing the latest developments in the field of pervaporation and vapor permeation and introducing the new PERVAP-Tools, which can be used with process simulators such as ProII to simulate and optimise flowsheets which combine pervaporation with distillation and other unit processes.
The following papers will be presented at the Achema-conference:
"Process Simulator Toolkits for Pervaporation and Vapour Permeation" - Nick Wynn, on Wednesday 21.05.2003, 3.30 p.m., Room: Harmonie 1, CMF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back