Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pervaporation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdavis

Chemical
Oct 26, 2001
US
Other than the membrane suppliers(Mitsui, Sulzer and Pervatech), who designs and supplies these units? Other than the high costs of the membrane materials, are there reasons to avoid use of pervaporation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have estimated pricing of $150/sq.ft.($1630/sq.m.) as typical of lowest prices for PVA membranes, which seems expensive. Is this estimate wrong? If so, what should the range be? Thanks.

jdavis,
is this the price for membrane only, cut or installed?
As most of the suppliers do not just sell membranes but having them installed in modules or in complete units, you have to know where your price is deducted from.
As an average you can say that 1 sqm. PVAmembrane in a plate 'n frame module is around $500-750(incl. membrane cutting and module assembling) - 1/3 of your price!
Does it look more promissing to your project now?
[glasses]

Dear jdavis,
why not to describe your application and so we could discuss advantages / disadvantages of the pervaporation or vapour permeation. Thanks in advance. Pierre

Dear Pierre
I do not have a specific application. I am putting together information on the options in this area for the US EPA. However, we have had little and apparently erroneous information on the costs of the polymeric membranes. This is still confounded by the variation in costs of these units related to peripheral equipment, particularly heat exchangers, that are application dependent.Thanks. Jim

Shanghai MegaVision Membrane Engineering Co Ltd is in cooperation with Qinghua University Membrane Research Center to provide cost effective PVA pervaporation membrane and engineering solution to ethanol, IPA dehydration process.

Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back