Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

perventing crash when non metallic cutting on mazak spacegear 510 mkii

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsyrett725

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2012
US
I have been doing 3D cutting a composite material with our spacegear for about a year now. There has been a few crashes. The problem is that the composite is non metallic so that the height sensor does not work. I am currently training a replacement operator because I am moving to operate a new machine. He is less experienced and we are looking at ways to help prevent any damage if there is a crash. Currently if the offset is done wrong, the part is place on the fixture wrong or the wrong program is loaded the head of the laser will just bury its self into the material until the operator hits stop, the servo over load alarm goes off or the spring loaded head is deflected enough where the beam blows a hole thew the side of it. At the beginning of the project we were told there was a company that made a spring loaded attachment that goes between the tip and the head. so that when it compresses it trips the autogap sensor and stops the laser before any real damage can occur. But we were unable to find a company that makes that attachment. Has anyone heard of this tip or anything else that may help?

Thank you
Garry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try lasermech.com, i know they make cutting heads for mazaks 2d machines, so they might have what you are looking for.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back