Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Petroleum Engineering Degree and Job Market? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustTheTibb

Mechanical
Mar 31, 2012
US
Hi Guys,

I am writing to see what kind of experiences you all have had in the petroleum business. I am considering moving on to an MS in Petroleum Engineering after my undergraduate Mechanical Engineering degree. The reason why I'm considering Petroleum Engineering is because I've taken an interest in fluid mechanics and mechanical design during my undergraduate courses. Obviously, the pay is good too. I've recently taken a petroleum production engineering class to familiarize myself with the PE career field. I'll be moving on to a drilling engineering class (tech elective) this fall to wrap up my ME degree.

My questions are:

Between the upstream and downstream jobs, what is a good area to get into for an entry level position? Since I'm younger, I imagine a little field work wouldn't hurt, but I'm thinking long term as well when I'm older and have a family. Any advice or areas I should look in to, please mention it.

Would it be beneficial for an engineer to become a certified welder, or is it one job or the other (no middle ground)? (kinda something I want to do as a personal goal anyway)

What are some of the top companies to work for and why? I understand this is only your opinion, I'm not trying to start anything among the professionals on this forum.

If you'd like to add any additional information or opinions not mentioned, that would help too.

Thank you for any reply!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I attend the University of Central Florida and am very interested in the profession of Petroleum Engineering. I am currently a Mechanical Engineering major in my first year. Before I start any real core classes, which would you think is the best education for being a Petroleum Engineer: Energy Systems, Materials Systems, or Mechanical Systems? These are all subsets of the Mechanical Engineering major.

Thanks - Robert

1982 was also a bad year...I was laid off that summer, along with many. Nothing was as bad as '86 though.....

One important distinction in job security is the difference between up and downstream. Upstream will lay you off in the middle of the night, or during a coffee break. The first thing that happens in bad oil economy is they stop turning the drill bit to the right; and the rigs start laying over and all of the support/service companies fall over like dominos.

I have been lucky enough to stay employed for the last 30 years, mainly because I have floated back and forth between up and downstream. I have a BS in PetE from A&M and spent most all the earlier years "makin' hole". As much as I do prefer the upstream side; (more unique, interesting, challenging than just about any industry period), I still like to eat, and downstream (refinery/petrochem) provides much more stable atmosphere, a bit more insulated from shocks to the oil economy.

I took my knowledge of mechanical equipment from the drilling side and used it in the field of Rotating Equipment in the downstream side; got really sick of missing Little League games, etc. There is a whole world of engineering in designing, monitoring, improving huge HP machinery spinning ultra fast; lots of things can blow up...fun, fun, fun. While not as "glamorous" (HaHa) as the drilling industry, your children will recognize you and your family may actually stay together.

If you don't mind being away from home at least 6 mos a year for maybe 5-8 years, then go for the upstream side; it is definitely more interesting and unique; great stuff for the young. By the way, "world travel" in the drilling biz is not going to Paris to hang out at coffee shops and whistle at pretty girls. You will be stuck for the most part in some craphole part of the world on a platform or location far from civilization. Take a lot of good books and do your time; you WILL be rewarded later on.

The cuts in 1982 were very company specific (no layoffs at all at one company, big hits at the next) and the companies that weren't laying off were hiring. The feeling I got at the time was that there were more open slots looking for people than people looking for slots. In 1986, virtually all of the companies in Oil & Gas were either laying off or had frozen hiring. That led to joke that every shoe salesman in Denver, New Orleans, Tulsa, or Houston had a Geoology, Geophysics, or PetEng degree in 1987.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

All,

My $0.02 worth. I grew up on drilling rigs, started out way too young throwing spinning chain for uncles and dad at 16, but they must have been good teachers, I still have all ten fingers. The O&G industry, especially the upstream 'oil patch' will go boom or bust about once every 10 years or so. But when it's good, you can make a truck load of money and get to see some of the worst hellholes on this earth.

If I were in my twenties, and trying to decide which engineering field I might want to pursue, I would take a serious look at a BS Chem.Eng. Their starting salaries are 15-25% above just about all others, and with a little wrangling, you can shuttle between the upstream, mid-stream, and downstream sectors.

But you will also be given the opportunity to see some of those less than spectacular sites.

Good luck and enjoy which ever path you follow, because you only get one ride on the merry-go-round.

rklts is right on....that is.....speaking as a former chain chunker who still has ten fingers. Enjoyed my time as a worm-corner-latch-hand, chunkin' chain, and rackin' pipe on the monkey board... I hated it, but I miss those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back