Petroleum Storage Tank Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

joisy

Chemical
Feb 6, 2003
US
Dear All,

can you please advise me where (some practices ?) it's good to read about the cone bottoms' design (maybe with discharge well) for the Petroleum Storage Tanks.

thanks,
Joisy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know if you have acces to them, but the Shell DEP's can probably give you some pointers.
I'd recommend the API (American Petroleum Institute) publications as well.

Hope this helps.

joisy,

I suggest you purchase the book by Phillip E. Myers "Above Ground Storage Tanks".

The book contains comparisons and recommendations about coned-bottomed storage tanks.....as I recall, the "cone down" configuration was dicouraged because of long term corrosion potential....whereas the "cone-up" configuration was the preferred configuration for liquids that would settle out undesirables...

My opinion/recollections only...

MJC

Joisy:

It is common practice to use a cone down bottom in petroleum storage tanks to aid in the sumping of water and settled solids. Of course this depends upon the type of product you are storing, etc. I have worked in the design of aircraft fuel storage tanks and they are almost cone down with a central well and dedicated sump piping for daily water and settled solids removal. I don't know about the Shell DEP referenced above, but in my experience API 650 is very commonly used as a design guide and appropriately focussed professional associations are consulted with respect to industry norms, etc. For the aircraft fuel, there is the Joint Inspection Group, which issues guidelines and conducts independent audits for aircraft fuel facilities. In this case, they are considered our "bible" though their guidelines are not followed in all parts of the world.

joisy, FIZZHEAD....

"Petroleum storage" can mean a lot of things....

The "cone down" tank design that is discouraged for large capacity crude oil storage (by Phillip Myers) may be perfectly suitable for storage of jet fuel.

Perhaps someone from the API 650/620 code commitee can comment on this topic......

I also suggest that you post this question on

Let us know what you decide......

MJC

Phex,

Shell practices maybe very good but how can I see them being out of Shell? Maybe someone can send me them at
joisy(nospam)@land.ru?

thanks everyone I will keep you on track ;),
Joisy

Joisy,

I have seen the Shell practices referenced a number of times, as Phex noted above, and have oftened wondered why reference standards unless they were publically available.

It would be interesting to here from someone who does have access to the Shell practices and is not a Shell employee but it appears that Shell does offer their standards for purchase.

I haven't checked on pricing but I wouldn't be surprised if they were priced more for corporate use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back