Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PFC steel grade from 1995?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugbus

Structural
Aug 14, 2018
AU
I am dealing with an existing steel structure that was designed in 1995. I have the original drawings but there are no steel grades specified anywhere.

The section that I'm looking at is a 300PFC. I'm not sure if this is 250 or 300 Grade, and it is the difference between this structure requiring strengthening vs not.

The relevant standard at the time was AS 3679.1:1990, which allowed for both grades. It wasn't until the 2010 of that code that Grade 250 was abandoned.

However, looking at the OneSteel catalogue from that time, it seems that Grade 300 (or at least OneSteel's own "300PLUS" grade) became standard for hot-rolled sections in Australia in 1994.
Capture_prpd0u.png

Does anyone happen to have a bit more information on when that switch from Grade 250 to Grade 300 became standard in Australia? Was most of the hot-rolled products at that time produced domestically or imported?

I suspect this is going to be one of those situations that can't be known with any certainty.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Even if BHP was producing 300+ at the time you don't know when that particular piece of steel was made, It could have been G250 in stock.
Assume it's grade 250 and move on.

Ooo eee ooo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang
Ooo eee ooo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang

As stated by others, I speculate: assuming 250, or testing, including using statistical analysis.

The following may be of interest, despite does not address the enquiry:

AS 1204—1980, Structural steels—Ordinary weldable grades
This Standard was prepared as a revision of AS 1204—1972 and AS 1405—1973. The number of grades of steel covered by this Standard were reduced to include only those grades which were readily available, i.e. grades 300, 400 and 500 were deleted....

AS 3678—1990, Structural steel—Hot-rolled plates, floorplates and slabs
The other major changes were—
(a) grades 300 and 400 (maximum thickness 50 mm) were re-introduced;....

Ex:

MP 84-2000[Current]
Evolution of Australian Standards for structural steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back