Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Phase Matching Test for RF Coax Cables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

corngold

Industrial
Nov 18, 2002
US
I need to perform a phase match test and a electrical length test on some RF coax cables using a HP 8753C Network Analyzer over a HP 85047A S. Parameter Test Set and I don't know how to get started. Is there anyone out there who has perform similar test on RF coax cables and have a procedure that I might be able to follow??? How do I establish electrical length?? Is there a way to perform the test requirement using a Windows based software package to test the cables using the HP 8753C???

corngold

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi!

To perform electrical lenght measurement You can use HP network analyzer with Time Domain transformation. But remember, to have good results You need analyzer with frequency range up to 20GHz. With this method is quite easy to decide where is connector and measure electrical lenght of coax cables.
To measure phase matching You need to have very good calibration. Calibration kits defined in network analyzers are not defined enough good. For example "thru" standard has zero delay offset. The best way is to take a close look at calibration standard definition in analyzer and if necessary modify them a little bit. It needs few calculations but all needed formulas You should find on the web or just contact HP.

HP 8753C can do your measurement if option 010 is installed. If not, you cannot measure time domain, required for phase mesurement. Without phase measurement you cannot compare phase. You should know what frequency you want to make this comparison at, too. HP part number 85019B was a kit that would let you install this capability yourself. Kit price in 1994 was $5300, when the 8753C was $27,500.

I'm looking into the phase matching (binning) of short semirigid cables using S11 on an 8720 with time domain. Can I achieve 1 or 2 degree measurement accuracy at 20 GHz? What is a good formula for resolution from bandwidth, IF BW, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back