Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phi angle for wet concrete? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPK06

Civil/Environmental
Jul 3, 2006
US
I'm looking at a steel sheet pile cell design that may require tremie concrete cell fill due to concerns with vessel impact.

Does anyone have any information regarding the phi angle of wet concrete? I'm trying to determine the earth pressure coefficent for the design.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On page 1.10 of Dayton/Richmond's Products for Concrete Forming manual, under Vertical Formwork Design Loads, Special Condition No. 3, it says, "Caution must be taken when using external vibration or concrete made with shrinkage compensating or expansive cements. Pressure in excess of equivalent hydrostatic may occur."

The manual also references Lateral Pressure Design Formulas contained in the Americam Concrete Institute's "Guide to Formwork for Concrete, (ACI 347 latest revision)."

Not surprisingly, the subject of lateral pressure from concrete pours has reportedly been studied for more than a hundred years (e.g. see an extensive account of some of the more recent at ). While it appears most of this latter day research/testing shows at least slightly less than theoretical "hydrostatic" loads in even some cases of very high pouring rates/slumps, there were also a case or two as explained herein where apparently at least slightly greater than hydrostatic loads were recorded at some point in the monitoring. [I don't know, however what if any relevance this might be to the initial inquiry tremied concrete/sheet pile application.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back