Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photoelectric Displacement Sensor Manufacturer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreinsdo

Mechanical
Jul 6, 2011
US
Hi all,

I am seeking an inexpensive photoelectric displacement sensor. The requirements of the sensor are that it senses over a 10mm range (preferably 0-10mm, but could be greater like 30-40mm), and is accurate to .1mm.

The application is to detect the distance of a rubber tube that will expand and contract due to a pulsatile pressure load. Please let me know if you need any more info.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I will gladly accept correction of my opinion by my colleagues here, but...

I think what you are seeking is expensive. "Photoelectric Sensors" are cheap. "Displacement sensors" are expensive. Typically displacement sensors use lasers in a retroreflective configuration. The bounced laser beam is sensed on a chip of some sort. A corresponding analog voltage calibrated to a distance is output. Never mind the user interface, documentation, & controller that goes into all of that. It all costs a lot of money.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

BTW, Keyence, OMRON, Sunx, SICK, several others all make those things. I use an older Keyence LK-G80 laser displacement sensor. 80mm offset, 20(?) mm range, crazy precise tolerance, wonderful device. I didn't buy it, but I think it was in the $3K - $4K range. I thought that I read where they released a less expensive version.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back