Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photovoltaic system-seperately derived system

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky1978

Electrical
Oct 1, 2008
US
The design calls for a photovoltaic system. The exterior of the house supports the service panelboard. The inverter will be located on the wall next to the panel on the house. The PV panels are located on the roof of the detached garage. The inverter has an integral DC disconnect. Does there need to be a additional disconnect on the garage. I heard its needed due to it being a seperately derived system. Does anyone know if this is needed and what code section this references. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

sparky, i believe it would be best to look it up in the NEC(?) by yourself. and pose your question here if you are in doubt at the same time referring to what section in the NEC. These guys also have their on work and they have no time to research it for you. :)

I understand what your trying to say. I looked through the code and cant seem to find anything. I checked 690 and 230. I just thought maybe someone ran into it before. I dont expect peoeple to do research on it for me. I am only asking people who maybe dealt with this situation. If they have then it would be easy for them to explain it.

I haven't looked to see the changes in the 2008 NEC, but here are some references from the 2005 NEC that may get you pointed in the right direction:

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

thanks. I have the first document but not the short version. This project is in California so we are still using NEC 2005 and CEC 2007. I havent had a chance to get my hands on 2008. I have looked reviewed the first document but doesnt seem to address anything. The contractor I am doing the design for asked if there needs to be one due to separately derived system. I am still trying get him to tell me where he got that idea because I dont see any reference to that. So I am just curious if anyone knows any code requirement do to that. Besides the need to be readily accessible I dont know what other issues there would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back