Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Piano and seismic waves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mccoy

Geotechnical
Nov 9, 2000
IT
Jason Moran is a recognized Genius of jazz piano (he received a McArthur 0.5 M$ fellowship).

In this video, he plays his composition 'Antipode Blues', related to the seismic waves radiated from an earthquake and reaching the antipodes. At the end we can listen to his rendition of the clash of seismic waves. By teh way, I'm wondering how to insert a direct Youtube screen-link

Antipode Blues

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

McCoy - Thanks for that link. Since Jason Moran mentioned that it takes 3 hours for the seismic waves to reach the antipode, I'm glad his composition is quicker than that.

When I first opened the video, was stunned to see that it was "Live from the Steinway Piano Factory Floor". The very first business trip that I ever took was to the Baldwin Piano Factory in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio, USA. I was a brand new 22 year old engineer on my first job, 4 months after graduation. Traveled with two other experienced engineers, both well over twice my age. After finishing our business, we were given a very comprehensive tour of the factory. Baldwin made their top-of-the-line grand pianos in Cincinnati. Lumber came in at one end of the factory... pianos, ready for delivery, went out the other end.

A sizeable enclosed room inside the factory was visible from the production floor. Baldwin representatives explained that it was an audition room, with proper acoustics, where performers (often big name ones) could come in to play a specific piano to see if it was "just right" for them to take on a concert tour. We were told that a performer often would play one piano for hours before deciding if it had exactly the right sound. Sometimes they had to try several, otherwise identical pianos, before making a selection. Baldwin was happy to have their brand associated with a famous pianist.

I expect that Steinway has a similar room and had this concert on the factory floor to have the workers as an audience.

[idea]
[r2d2]

SRE, Jason Moran really seems to be familiar with the models of antipodal desruption effects from meteorite impacts. I couldn't find any reference on the timelag from the impact point to the antipodes, 3 hours would be compatible with a 1.8 km per second average velocity of surface waves in the upper crust, sounds about right... I agree he's been magnanimous in condensing the time in his piece.

meteorite_strike_model.jpg

In another Utube clip he's seen choosing a piano among 4 or 5 identical Steinway grand models, exactly as you say, the models are sounding perfectly the same to ordinary human beings, but he goes on: "every piano talks you in a different way' and keeps exploring the various key, especially the bass Keys and their harmonic combinations

McCoy - In an article about the December 2004, Indian Ocean earthquake there is the following info on time to antipode:

The earliest, lower amplitude, signal represents the compressional (P) wave, which takes about 22 minutes to reach the other side of the planet (the antipode; in this case near Ecuador). The largest amplitude signals represent seismic surface waves that reach the antipode after about 100 minutes. The surface waves can be clearly seen to reinforce near the antipode (with the closest seismic stations in Ecuador), and to subsequently encircle the planet to return to the epicentral region after about 200 minutes.

I listened again to Jason Moran's talk about the antipode. I believe he is saying that the time of the seismic waves round trip (point of origin to antipode, back to point of origin) is "about 3 hours". That compares nicely with the 200 minutes quoted above.

Here is the link about the 2004 earthquake:

I found it hard to believe that Ecuador is half way around the world from Sumatra. I quick look at our globe convinced me its true. That Pacific Ocean is sure a big place.

[idea]
[r2d2]

I'll have a listen and get back to you . . . back in April, I did about a half month of posts on FB during jazz appreciation month. I've compiled them - if you are interested, send me an email and I'll get back to you with a pdf . . .
bohicafries ... gmail

I enjoyed BigH's list, many of'em well known but some I never heard about previously, like Rabih aboul Khalil and his blue Camel album, a great performance with many jazz stars in the Group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back