Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pick and Place gripper technologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbroyer

Mechanical
Jun 26, 2001
US
Is there fundamental designs to start from when designing the proper geomertry for grippers. Such as vacuum and captivation of parts to be pick then placed with high percision. The part I'am trying to pick is .004 thick and 3mm square position accuracy has to be w/in .002. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It may be possible but could you let us know what pick & place system you are using and the positional accuracy this provides - Tom

I have designed some pick and place nozzles that are used in circuit board assembly. They can pick 02 X 01 mm sized parts accurately.

If you need any help, please contact me: kka111@ameritech.net.

Also, Tom001, can you contact me? I am working on a project where we have to design a collet that holds a 1mm tube.

Thank you.

I`m designing a cylinderical robot to lift a pay load of 10kg, and i was wondering if anyone could help with the design of the gripper. the payload has to be lifter off of an assembly line rotated through 90 deg. and placed into a horizontal chuck. I need to know about friction between the cripper and the payload and the forces required to hold it! the gripper can be lined with a material of my choice, and the pay load is cold rolled steel! please if you could help!

Well
Could you send me a rough drawing how the part looks like.
For gripping purposes it's very important to know the shape of the part. The gripping force has to be bigger than the part's weight is. And ofcause plus the friction factors. This gripper most probably will be a custom.

Hi bbroyer
There are several robot manufacturers they can pick and place parts within tolerance limit you mentioned. The pick and place accuracy depends on cycle time(how fast to move and how long is the travel).
Contact Adept, Staubli, Denso. I can provide more help if you need.

I have an operation that uses one robot to load two bending machines. We run various sizes of tube. Our best luck with gripping was a modified version of a manufactured gripper. The origional version used two grippers with almost a v shape something like \_/. We found this design to lose it's acuracy after some ware. Changing one side to a flat surface, pushing into the v, definitly made the tube handling much more consistant. wich decreased downtime due to robot crashing into the bending machine. Re-teaching robots definitly cost you time.

PrecisionMachining, I am looking for small grippers similar to what you described. I have small cylindric parts that should be axially assembled.
Thansk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back