Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pick many for "hiding" components 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandman351

Mechanical
Dec 14, 2001
US
Is there any way to "window" or "pick many" for hiding objects in an assembly? It gets rather tedious with large assmeblies to have to click on everything I want hidden. A crossing window or any window option would ease things greatly.

Thanks for any input :)
Pat

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Open the model tree, select the first object to hide, hold down the "Shift" key and select the last object to hide. Right-click on any of the highlighted items and select "Hide".

When I use this method to “hide many”, sometimes only the two items selected will highlight, nothing in between. I have learned this is a bad sign and that before long Pro/E is going to crash. I save everything, close everything, and reboot. This may be a quirk that only affects my machine. Just thought I’d mention it.

What are the primary uses for the "hide" function? Does it have advantages over the simplified representaion and layer functions?

-Andy

The hide function is just a temporary display option - it doesn't save with the assembly. (ie next time you open the assembly, all the parts will show).

Use Simplified Rep (or Component Display) for views that you want to save & retrieve later.

It really depends why you are hiding the components. If you are only interested in making the components 'not visible' you can use layers or the Model setup function.

Blank components using layers:

Create a layer and add components. The shift key technique should work in the model tree to select many components quickly. If this is a problem then use Select by Menu and then select Range. Enter the feature number of the first comp. and then the feature number of the last comp. Blank the layer and save status (if you want to retain layer display when the assembly is opened in the future).

Component Display (Model Setup):

Pro/E 2000i (View --> Model Setup --> Component Display...)

Create a display name for future use. Select the display type (blank, wireframe, hidden line, no hidden, shading, etc). Select each (or all) components for the selected display type. Make your picks from the model tree - much easier. You can also pick UpdateScreen at any time to see your display changes. Select done.
This is a great function, since you can wireframe some components and shade others. Much better than trying to edit the colors and transparencies of components.

Well what I'm doing is trying to temporarily hide some components so I can see others in the assembly. I'm working in shaded mode, just because it regens so quickly. I have many components in the assembly, that are saved by part numbers, so using the model tree I don't know which ones to hide and which ones to keep shown. I know where I'm working in the window, and there I know specifically which components I would like to hide. It would be extremely handy to have a crossing window to hide components in the display window, since that's what I'm using 99.9% of the time.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!!! I'll give some of them a shot.

Pat

If you want to temporarily hide components or features (that can be blanked i.e. datums and cosmetic features) hold down the shift key as you pick the item(s) in your window. After you have selected all of the items in your window RMC (right mouse click) and hold to display the shortcut menu. Click hide and they are temporarily hidden from the window. They are not removed from session and cannot be removed, since they are still required for the assembly or model. Use the suppress feature or simplified reps to hide and remove from session.

Have fun!

Every component of an assembly should be on a layer. :) Rule of thumb for me when creating assemblies. You can change the settings in your Model Tree to show the Layers in the Model Tree. Instead of looking at numbers, you can now see descriptive Layers. If you have same screws holding more than one component, be descriptive. Eg., layer name SCREW-123456-CONSOLE, SCREW-123456-HINGE. Another option is to use a parameter consistent in every part and assembly. An example parameter FILE_TITLE which will be a descriptive name of the part/assembly. The parameter can be displayed in the Model Tree.

FYI, in wildfire the layer and hide stuff is all updated for "ease of use". Now in wild fire the layer info is part of the model tree. Actually you toggle between the two.

I too use a shaded environment most of the time and yes it does save on regen time. As a result I use hide and unhide allot. The prolem of using layers is that they keep adding them selves to the next higher assemby. ALL layers do.
Do if in the model you have a curves layer, you also get a curves layer in the next higher assembly. Adding each part to a layer is fine but again in the next higher assembly you gat the part layers of the lower assemblies. My problem is with "adding more amd more layers" you loose track of what is on what layer. Be specific in naming them and stingy with adding layers and you will have less problems as the sub-assemblies get added to higher assemblies and complexity increases.

I actually hide parts at I need them hidden and now there is a show all hidden parts button if you loose a part down into model tree. In wildfire You can also just sellect the part in the view window hold the control button and sellect another part. then Right mouse click and if all the stars allign and the intent manager reads your mind you can select the hide button from the pull down menu.

It is still true in wildfire that hide and show parts is a session based thing only and will not be saved with the model.

JOSE FIGUEROA JR.

THANKS ARLIN! I stand corrected!
After doing a backup of my assembly from the vault. Then hiding a few parts in my assembly and saving.
Removing my assmebly and all the parts from memory.
Reopening the assembly I find the view status was saved.
I must have been trying to save that stuff to the vault and it was just doing it's job. I have only been on wildfire for 2 weeks now so sorry for the misinformation.

JOSE FIGUEROA JR.

I hide components more and more. The reason is because it is sometimes easier to see what is going on since the icon in the model tree changes when a component is hidden. With layers it is sometimes harder to tell which components are blanked (especially if the assembly was created by someone else).

Instead of hiding components, try simplified representations (simp rep). I also open most assemblies with simp rep to save ram. Also, set up visualbilities so outside parts are wireframed and inner parts show shaded is another technique; although ram is used work is easier.

Finally, I assemble an sub-assembly and use simp rep. The Master Rep has a (+) symbol attached. You then can go in and copy simp rep or name simp rep and wildfire automatically chooses the Master Rep (+). It is waiting for you to name a new simp rep. What a time saver!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back