Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piercing issues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaserSpyder

Materials
Jun 4, 2014
US
I get a lot of spatter on my lens and I think its because we use the incorrect pierce when cutting our hot rolled steel but Im not sure???? we use a M103 when piercing steel, sometimes we cut with no Pierce and I don't think that's good?? my Matrix sais to use M103A6 for my hot rolled 188 steel if I just add the A6 will this give me appropriate pierce or do I have to change the pierce conditions?????
Thanks a lot everyone [2thumbsup]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

LaserEngine I believe its my 188 Steel I was just checking the pierce time on our 188 steel and it has pierce time of o.1, assist press 0.10 and gas time at 0.1
on the other hand our .250 Steel pierce is really nice and the pierce time is 5.0, assist press 0.09, and gas time at 1.0... so im going to try to boost up pierce time and gas time up on my 188 steel to see if that helps but any suggestions you have are very appreciated. Thank you.

The Pierc looks alright in my eyes.
What nozzle are you using?
How does the sheet look that you cut in?
Are you using the SE cutting value or the slower S?

The M103 is just a standard pierce that can be used on all mild steel it just depends on the size of the hole and the material thickness. If you have a .1 hole in .25 material you will use a M103 pierce because the A6 blast pierce will remove to much material the the hole will get hot. When you use a M103 pierce and you have too much power, high gas pressure of low nozzle gap the lens will get spotted right away so you have to make sure the settings are perfect. For the most part I use a M103 on all small holes less than the thickness of the material and for all others I use the M103A6 blast and the M103A7 only on 1/2. I can post some conditions if you think it will help.

LaserEngine we use a 1.4 double nozzle, our sheets look fine and flat if that's what you mean. How would I find the SE or S cutting value? not familiar with that value. Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back