Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piezoelectric resonance - would this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balatro

Electrical
Oct 6, 2010
IE
Hi all,

I was hoping you could help me. I'm designing a system for aeroponics. Aeroponics is growing plants without the use of soil by coating the roots in a fine nutrient-enriched mist. The mist is created by a piezoelectric transducer sitting in nutrient-water vibrating at about 2MHz.

I had the idea to build a system with several plants, each with a bowl of nutrient-water by the roots, with a piezoelectric crystal with a 2MHz resonant frequency sitting in each bowl, then generating a 2MHz electromagnetic field to cause the crystals to vibrate in resonance to make the mist.

Would this work? Can I make the crystals vibrate using just wireless electromagnetism? As far as I understand, it should work in theory, but I haven't tried anything like this before. My technical understanding is very poor, so I was wondering if there's anything important I haven't thought of.

Warmest thanks,
Balatro

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In theory, yes, but practically, you'd probably need to dump enough RF to cook your plants, and or destroy any radio/TV reception on your block.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Just a side note- there are off-the-shelf ultrasonic humidifiers available. They work quite well but tend to leave a fine layer of dust on everything if you do not use purified water in them.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It's the questions that drive us"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Opera,

Does it go to 11?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back