Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piezoelectric transducer pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilafa

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2007
ES
Hi,
Does anyone know if there is an equation to calculate the pressure produced by a piezoelectric transducer (maybe in function of electrical power, density of media, etc).
Thanks,
pilafa

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The transducer supplier should have some help available. ... probably in a fairly dense technical document that an ordinary salesperson could not even read.

Off the top of my head, I think that a piezo transducer produces mechanical strain in proportion to electrical charge, and conversely.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

To get units of voltage per unit pressure, you need a charge amplifier, which is strictly speaking a charge to voltage transducer.

Between the charge amp and the piezo, you need gold plated terminals and teflon coax, which you have to bake regularly to keep out atmospheric moisture.

I don't think charge amps are bidirectional, so you need a different box to take a voltage input and pump charge into/out of the piezo to make it move.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back