Pig receiver - Steam out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike-Carlson

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2017
IR
Hello everyone,

Is there any standard about the pig receivers regarding weather to consider a steam out condition and nozzle or not?
(length:12010 mm, OD: 30 in, lethal service, operating pressure: 127.2 barg and operating temperature: 35/52 C)
Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The pig receivers (and launchers) are designed to process requirements and there is no standard to specify the steam out condition;- in fact, you are asking if the vacuum condition is a special requirement. This condition is specified by the process engineer or the project basis of design. However, I failed to understand your question '...steam out condition and nozzle or not?" Nozzle condition? If nozzle loads are your question, the pressure vessel code mandates the inclusion of these loads in the vessel calculations (I believe you know this very well, so what's the question of nozzles?).
Cheers, gr2vessels

It may be that the OP is referring to a "steamout nozzle", I occasionally seen auxiliary connections for vessels labeled as steamout connections.

To the main subject I don't know if piping is normally or even ever designed for steamout but I'd guess the piping design conditions would be the guide for the pig receiver.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

I'm getting a little concerned here.

I'm not sure of your position or role in this item but so far

1) You're designing it to the wrong code (IMHO)
2) You don't seem to be aware of the Design pressure or test pressure , only the "operating pressure"
3) you don't seem to have the P & ID or access to the process engineer where this should be determined
4) I don't know what this stuff is other than "lethal" service so can't say whether you need to use steam to make the contents of the trap non hazardous when you open it ( which is the whole purpose of a pig trap).

As a designer these are all things you should know.

There is no "standard" as this sort of requirement depends on the contents and their hazard to an operator. I've seen purge and vent nozzles before now which is required in some instance and overkill in others.

If it needs steam then this becomes a low pressure, but high temperature event which needs to be allowed for in the design and suitable precautions to prevent over pressure with high temperature steam.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

@LittleInch,

I am not the only designer in this project. For your information I have access to all information related to this project. However, the head of eng. group has asked me to redesign this equipment assuming a pressure vessel rather than a pipleline component. I might be a new member to industry but I am aware of the minimum requirements to start designing. If my questions are so easy in your perspective just be nice and answer them humbly or do not even open my posts. Thank you for your replies anyway.

Regards,

Don't be so prickly - it doesn't go down well on these posts.

Next time be a bit more upfront and state what you have just stated in the last response.

There are a lot of posts here from people that clearly don't have a clue what they're doing and are trying to design it off the internet - if you don't tell us information that is pertinent to the question then we don't know.

If you had access to all the information why were you asking about design pressure and test pressure??

Glad to be of help.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back