Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pigging or Flushing a 15 km Non-Uniform pipeline

Finchh

Mechanical
Jul 26, 2024
AE
Hello all,

I’m looking for some guidance on cleaning a 15 km non-uniform pipeline that alternates between 4" and 6" Schedule 80 sections, with reducers, bends, and a non-barred tee section (P&ID attached for reference). We’ve calculated a total pressure loss of approximately 30 bar at a flow velocity of 1 m/s, accounting for friction, bends, and head loss. There are no vent points available, so air displacement is a concern for both flushing and pigging operations.

Pipeline Details:​

• Length: 15 km
  • Diameters: Alternating 4" and 6" Schedule 80 sections
  • Pressure Loss: Around 30 bar at 1 m/s flow velocity
  • Tee Section: Non-barred tee included in the line
  • Vent Points: None available
Given the diameter transitions and the non-barred tee section, I’m evaluating both pigging and flushing options. If anyone has insights on handling non-uniform lines with tees in terms of pig selection (such as dual-diameter or adaptable pigs) or advice on flushing setups to manage air displacement without vent points, I’d appreciate it. Additionally, any suggestions on pump requirements to consistently achieve the 30 bar head for this configuration would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Attachments

• 6 & 4 inch line.png
    6 & 4 inch line.png
    129.9 KB · Views: 1
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That P&ID tells us very little I'm afraid.

You need a profile and also a better description of what fluids you're talking about and how you've got to 2bar per km for 1m/sec flow velocity??

Multi diameter pigs are difficult at that size but exist, but is the pipeline piggable?

You can get "gel" pigs or fluids which act as the same.

Flushing sounds like liquid displacing liquid?

Pumps shouldn't be an issue - why do you think it is?

But describe a bit better what you want to do and what your constraints are.

Back