Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pile cap question

Status
Not open for further replies.

geov86

Geotechnical
Jun 6, 2017
GR
Hello guys. I'd like to ask you a question regarding a pile foundation for a pavilion I am studying right now.

After performing the analysis I ended up that I need 12 piles, one pile under each footing.Thing is though, I would like these 12 piles to be analyzed without a uniform pile cap for the entire pile group, meaning that I'd like individual pile caps along with the individual piles of the group. Is there any geotech software able to do this as I have the Geo5 Geostructural Analysis and it does not contain such an option? I tried to perform the analysis in Geo5 as hinged connection. Can this be a possible approximate solution?

Thank you all guys!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would be interested to see the floor plan of your building. Normally it is not recommended to support a pile cap with only one pile. If it is a large diameter that may be ok.

What diameter are your piles.

What are you trying to anlayse? The soil structure interaction between the pile and soil and between the pile cap and soil (if in contact). Plaxis 3D would be capable of doing it. 2D would also be an option as it is axisymetric.

why can't you analyze them as stand alone piles? Then the pile cap is essentially an extension of the pile to achieve proper bearing elevation.

Thank you guys!

@Eirechch: I don't have a problem to upload a floor plan but I don't know whether it is allowed to do it here. The diameter of the piles is 0.6m, the length is about 6m, and the pile cap is 1m x 1m (each pile cap). Yes, I want to analyze the pile - soil interaction.

@jayrod12: Thank you my friend. I thought about it too as a possible solution but I wondered if I could analyze it as a system to get a behavior as close as it gets in terms of precision with the real one, and without having the restriction of one uniform pile cap. Now, since I don't have plaxis,I think I'll follow your guide!

Thank you both guys! [smile]

What building code is applicable to your project?
IBC 2015 (US Code) includes provisions for Deep Foundation / Pile Stability.
A single pile may not meet the requirements of IBC 1810.2.2.
It seems to me that the soil lateral load resistance capacity should provide the required
stability, however, IBC does not seem to recognize that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back