Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pile cap rebar debonded too far beyond cut off level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myoho

Geotechnical
May 29, 2003
GB
Reinforced concrete CFA Piles have gone in for a structure. There is a problem. The debonding foam around the pile cap rebar has gone 600mm too far beyond the cut off level. Has any one had a similar experience before and if so you could you please tell me how you overcame it.

We are thinking that if we could somehow dissolve the debonding foam we would then be able grout up the space between the rebar and the concrete pile.

Only we need to know what substance would dissolve the foam. The foam is the same as what you get to lag copper pipes. Sorry cant be more specific.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Liquid gasoline will dissolve the foam and a blowtorch will burn the foam. The hard part is cleaning the surface for bonding to the added grout. Wire brush and sand blasting have had small success in deep holes.

What is the approved method to prepare a reinforced concrete pile for either a pile cap or grade beam?

I am in disagreement with my contractor whom wants to pour concrete on piles that have not been cleaned, and in fact still have residual dirt and gravel on top. These pile caps will be supporting 40 ton cranes and I am concerned about the possible future gap created once the dirt washes out over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back