Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pile loading test

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaG

Geotechnical
Feb 21, 2012
FR
Hello,

I am tring to calculate loading test of small scale pile in ABAQUS CAE. Results which I get are rediculus. I am afraid it can be connected with invalid definition of geostatic state of stress (gravity g=10 m/s). I checked the units but there is ok with them.

Axisymmetric model dimensions:

Part-1 : 0.5m x 1m (horizontal x vertical) with 'hole ' for pile 0.035m x 0.45m (horizontal x vertical)

Part-2 : 0.035m x 0.45m (horizontal x vertical)

My dry sand is modelled with Mohr-Coulomn

density 1450kg/m^3

Young modulus E=40e6 Pa

Poisson ratio ni=0.3

friction angle fi=33deg

dilatancy angle psi=10deg

cohesion c=100 Pa

Pile properties (Elastic):

density 2400kg/m^3

Young modulus E=20e9 Pa

Poisson ratio ni=0.3

I define initial state of stress( EALL - set which is whole model soil+pile) by

*initial conditions type=stress, geostatic
EALL, -14500, -1, 0, 0, 0.5

When I check Frame-1vertical stress is like I defined and no vertical dispalcement occures

Frame-2 vertical stress changed (caused by the weight of pile) and significant values of displacement occured (also S12 and CSHEAR1 are not equal to 0)

Interaction between soil-pile (created in Initial step and propagated to all): tangential - penalty - friction coefficient 0.35

Two steps:

Step-1: Static, gravity load (whole model)

Step-2: Static, gravity load(propagated tron previous step) + displacement on the pile top (d=0,05m)

Problem is that the concentration of vertical stress is in soil under pile tip not as I expected in the pile head.

Does anybody know what can caused this kind of behaviour? and what is more important how to fix it?

Thank You in advance

Regards,

Anna

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Geotech 2011, I went through your input file as I would like to simulate pile driving. Is it possible for you to please explain the steps that you have used so I can understand them and apply to my model?

Regards,

Aliasger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back