Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piling question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony A

Coastal
Feb 7, 2021
US
I have a class B 40' 2.25 treated piling driven 22' into the ground and cemented. The top of the piling is 12" diameter and the driven bottom is 7". The piling is 5 3/4" out of alignment and I would like to pull it into line using a come along and chain. The chain will be fixed to the top of the piling and the come along to the bottom of the sister piling that is 15' away.

How much pull can the piling take before cracking?

Is it feasible to try to pull it 5 3/4" without causing permanent damage?

Is there a formula that can be used to hypothetically design a pull criteria?

Thanks,

Tony

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I guess that one (and sorry this is so late) might question as to the necessity of realigning the piling. Yes, the piling is outside normal offset limits. Is the pile for compression only or for lateral restraint. My thoughts would be to determine if the piling is REALLY fit for purpose or is the desire to realign the pile more from a "let's meet the project specification" approach? Even in concrete, when one has low strengths in the test cylinders/cubes and the cores also show something similar, there is still a comment in the AASHTO Bridge Design Manual (the older ones) that a structural engineer should be called in to determine if the structure is still fit for purpose

Pulling the pile will, if able to do so, create a space on the backside of the pull - would you then grout the annular void? To me, it probably will be found that the pile is still acceptable - but again, this is for the structural engineer to determine.

Suggestion would be to have put this in a geotechnical forum rather than a coastal forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back