Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pinecar Derby Lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.

stack

Structural
Aug 13, 2001
US

And on a not so serious note:

What is the best lubrication for pinecar derby cars? These involve a plastic wheel spinning on a metal (steel I assume) screw or nail. Everyone recommends dry graphite, but I think there may be something better, such as:

Silicone spray?
Elmer's Slide-All (Teflon based spray)?
Low viscosity oil?

Something else?

Also, I've heard suggested that nickel plating (or zinc?) of the axle could help.

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When I was in scouts the rules specified no liquid lubricants were allowed, and I *think* they said only grapite may be used. I could be wrong though, it's been a few years.

The rules do vary from pack to pack, some require graphite, others allow anything so long as it doesn't foul the track.

Graphite has always been the standard for pinecars, I'm just wondering if something else might work better!

Cylinder oil, containing animal fat, was the low friction choice in steam engine days. There is a synthetic version of it today. Use the lowest viscosity version. It has the lowest tendency towards slip-stick friction.

One of the guy's I work with races pine car derby at his church with his kid's,he's been using silicone and it work's very well.I've been meaning to do a search for him as to whether or not it's a dry lubricant,It seem's to be after the carrier evaperates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back