Ping IP software

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruggedscot

Electrical
Feb 17, 2003
GB
Hi

I hope that you can indulge me ! I am currently looking at a system and would like some advice - we have several remote items of equipment that we monitor through the net and as such I am looking at a way of monitoring the network that monitors our equipment. What I seek to do is have a piece of software that I can run and have it ping the equipment that we monitor and if we lose the connectivity to that IP then it will provide us with an alert - pop up and a means to log the time of the outage when it happened when it returned and the length of the outage. This being availiable for all the IPS being monitored - could be up to 200 or so.
Id like to know the ping times and be able to monitor that for any issues.
The graphics for the front end should allow me to be able to name the IP as to what it does - this we can get easy to understand information from the system rapidly. We would be able to pull reports on a weekly basis as to what part of the network was giving us issues....

Is this something that any one has knowledge about, it would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Windows comes with a command line ping

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

I know been doing this - looking to automate and provide info out...

running over 150 ips at present and looking for realtime analysis

I am not aware of any commercial utility to do this. However, I think that it wouldn't be too difficult to write a script that would use a utility like ping, or mtr (see and note that there are Windows editions of these tools too). The script could be called as a cron task periodically, and then analyze the output for an error or successful completion and then email on an error code. In fact, this is a very common type of thing to do with Linux systems. There are several, very easy, programming languages like Perl that are designed around pattern matching and text searches that would make calling the function and scanning the output fairly easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back