Pipe attachment to brick veneer

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrLamp

Structural
Jan 21, 2022
CA
Hello Everyone,

I have a problem where I need to run two 1.5" schedule 40 pipes vertically along the face of the brick veneer from ground level to roof level (9th floor). I have to install some clamps anchored into the brick veneer. The weight of the pipe is barely 6 plf. The interior partition wall is a stud wall. I know that putting any load on the brick veneer is not a good idea, but for the given pipe, the total load would be around 650 lbs. I will anchor the pipe clamps into the brick veneer at each floor level through the mortar joint with HY 270 Hilti IC. The location is not in a seismically active area, but wind load can be significant. My gut feeling is that since the brick veneer is fairly strong for gravity loads and is tied into the structure with brick ties, it should be good for the given weight of the pipe. I just wanted to get someone’s opinion on this.

Thanks,

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f89b258e-9586-4d06-9ddd-dedb369a1de8&file=PXL_20240723_140641985.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is going to be inside the pipes? Assuming electrical?
I've typically seen contractors doing this work without consulting a structural. For electrical conduit installed on brick veneer, the details I've seen use strut and strut clamps with multiple anchors, not saying the proposed single anchor and clamp wouldn't be sufficient. Aside from the dead weight, there can be substantial forces from pulling in the wire which may be a concern.

not ideal

especially if the pipe expands/contracts along its length, could impart forces onto the brickwork.

the brick

if there is any way to fix through the brick to the structural wall behind?

or - from your image it looks like you are in there early.

could you clamp something/fit something to the shelf angle, poke it through the brick, and fix to that once the brick is laid?

The newest edition of TMS 402/602-2022 covers "lightly loaded" veneer. For any 5' x 5' area, the load should not exceed 20 lbs or 180 in.-lb moment. If it does then you should anchor into the backing. And you definitely need to consider expansion of the conduit since it will be much greater than the brick, especially over multiple floors.

Thank you, everyone, for your input. As the total weight of the pipe is around 370 lb, we ended up anchoring it into the shelf angle at the second level. For the rest, it will be anchored into the brick veneer only at each level, allowing for a bit of slip. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back